dual boot and virtual windows

Reaction score
Hello,

I'd like to buy a macbook pro, because I'm not satisfied with my windows computer anymore: it is too slow, it's a desktop (and I'd like to buy a small, lightweight laptop) and it crashes too often. So I went looking for a mac computer. Now I'd like to know one more thing before I buy one...

When you have a macbook pro, it is possible to use windows in dual boot, (that's what I read), and it is also possible to run windows in virtualization software. What I'd like to know is whether it is possible to use your dual boot windows in the virtualisation software. I have a lot of windows-only software, and I'd like to use it on my laptop too, without looking for alternative software (too lazy/too used to my own software). My experience tells me that a virtual operating system is not as fast as the real, booted one, simply because you have to maintain your current operating system and your virtual operating system at once, and I'd like to be able to switch quickly to windows, but I'd also like to be able to perform complicated tasks on my macbook while running windows. So that's why I'd like to install the same version of windows in dual boot (to perform heavy tasks) and in virtual boot (to be able to switch quickly).
Is this possible?

Edit: after I wrote this, I read the sticky topic in this forum, which learned me that it is possible. Now the new question is: is it a good idea to do it this way? Or should I just stick to the Boot Camp Windows? (And does it work like a windows-computer without mac?)

Thanks for reading,
I'm sorry for my bad English, I'm not a native speaker :Smirk:,
greets,
Skwirrel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
Yes it is possible to run Windows on a Macbook Pro and dual boot between the two systems. I had, until recently, Windows installed on my Mac for a specific program, and it was installed in a separate partition. I used VMWare Fusion to set up a virtual machine that used the Windows installation, so there was only one copy of Windows installed on the computer. I do believe that Parallels Desktop allows for this as well.

There was a slight performance hit when running in the virtual machine, since, as you said, you are running two OS's at the same time. It was not really that noticeable for normal tasks, but if you are going to be doing heavy gaming, or doing a lot of 3D work, your best performance will be booting into Windows. That said, I was running a 3D modeling program in the virtual machine, and the only issue was with the OpenGL drivers not rendering correctly, so you can do complicated tasks in the VM.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
only imho: A great many would not have the need to install Windows in a dual boot. You'll need to take a look at the applications you need to run. If you're not doing any 3D gaming or other apps that need to make use of the graphics chip in such a way, then installing only in the VM should be good enough for most.

I went a little overboard as the occasion for opening Windows on my Mac is pretty rare. I have Win 7 installed as a dual boot option just in case I need full use of the hardware. I use that install in the VM and have also installed Win XP in the VM, just in case (really only because I have an OEM copy of it that is tied to this machine anyway).

OP
S
Reaction score
Whow, that's really all the information I needed :).

I don't know whether it is the right place to ask this, but at least I can try: can I install the same windows as on my desktop (because I won't throw it away), with the same serial number, if I don't use them at the same time? Or do I have to buy a new windows? (that would be difficult: I need another windows XP license, and I don't think they are sold any longer :p).

I read something about a processor (in the macbook pro) that is "only" 2.6Ghz, and which can reach peaks to 3.something Ghz, does this technology really work? Or is it just publicity? And does it work under windows too? :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Whow, that's really all the information I needed :).

I don't know whether it is the right place to ask this, but at least I can try: can I install the same windows as on my desktop (because I won't throw it away), with the same serial number, if I don't use them at the same time? Or do I have to buy a new windows? (that would be difficult: I need another windows XP license, and I don't think they are sold any longer :p).

Windows has a technology called "Product Activation" which phones home to Microsoft in order to enforce their policies. Assuming your Windows install on your desktop came from the original manufacturer (OEM version), you may not transfer the license for both legal and technical reasons. Now, if it's a retail version of Windows (i.e. one that you purchased and installed yourself), you can bring it over to your Mac. Just note that it will no longer function on your desktop.

You can still buy Windows XP if you choose to go that route, but it will be very difficult to find. Any reason you don't want to just go with Windows 7?

I read something about a processor (in the macbook pro) that is "only" 2.6Ghz, and which can reach peaks to 3.something Ghz, does this technology really work? Or is it just publicity? And does it work under windows too? :)

The Core i5/i7 series have this feature and yes it does work well.

OP
S
Reaction score
Okay, I think I'm going to buy me one. I don't want to change because I am very used to windows XP, but once, I'll have to change, so this may be a good moment :). I can still use XP on my desktop, and I can use Mac and Windows 7 on my Macbook then, sounds cool ;).
Another question about the booting: is it with mac also possible to partition your hard disk without tools from other manufacturers? I'd like to make one partitition for my mac-software (HFS (+)?), one for my windows (NTFS) and one for my documents (FAT32) before I start using the computer, I did this on my desktop, and it's very, very useful! :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Okay, I think I'm going to buy me one. I don't want to change because I am very used to windows XP, but once, I'll have to change, so this may be a good moment :). I can still use XP on my desktop, and I can use Mac and Windows 7 on my Macbook then, sounds cool ;).
Another question about the booting: is it with mac also possible to partition your hard disk without tools from other manufacturers? I'd like to make one partitition for my mac-software (HFS (+)?), one for my windows (NTFS) and one for my documents (FAT32) before I start using the computer, I did this on my desktop, and it's very, very useful! :)

Yes, you can do that, but I wouldn't recommend it. There is really no benefit to it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes, you can do that, but I wouldn't recommend it. There is really no benefit to it.

Agreed.

Instead of doing that grab yourself an external drive. Use Superduper! or CarbonCopy cloner to backup OS X. Either of these will create a bootable backup so that you can keep on working in case of internal drive failure until you have time to replace it.

If you're installing Windows in a VM, that's all you need. If you install Windows using BootCamp as a dual boot, then create two partitions on the external and use WinClone to backup your Windows install to the 2nd partition.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hmmh, but then I have to buy an external HD? That's not that expensive as it used to be, but still, I need to work hours to buy one ;). (I'm only a student!).
I'll see that afterwards, I can backup on my desktop computer via the network :).
I'll see, now I have too choose a macbook pro ;). Thanks for all the help :D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you don't want to risk losing "all" of your data, then you need a backup plan. This is not optional for anyone keeping any info they care about losing. You need to figure the cost of an external drive into the cost of your setup today. External drives up to 1 or even 1.5 TB are available at under $100.

Copying your data onto a separate partition is not a backup.

OP
S
Reaction score
No, it's not meant that way, it's just: windows slows down when you install too much software on it, and I made an image of windows with all the necessary software already installed, which I can re-install to the windows-partition, then I don't loose any data, nor do I have to backup it, because it's on a separate partition (I hate backupping, but it's useful, I know!).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.