• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Please help. Adding a custom overlay to imovie 09' crashes imovie

Reaction score
When I added a custom overlay in imovie 08 I had no problems at all. But I updated my computer to snow leopard (from leopard previously), and installed imovie 09. After doing that, now that I'm working in imovie 09, which is supposed to accept custom overlays, it crashes EVERY time I try to put in a custom overlay. What's wrong?

Here's a link to the crash report. It was too long to put in a post so I put it here: http://purplelu.yolasite.com/imoviecrashreport.php

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The dump doesn't help us a lot. You are running an older white Macbook with integrated graphics, 1GB of RAM, OS X 10.6.5, all of which seem fine according the the iLife 11 requirements, which seems to be what you are running.

You said you are running iMovie 09, but the dump says you are running version 9.0 which would be iMovie 11, as version 8.0.6 is iMovie 09.

Looks like perhaps the crash is occurring when the popup window appears, but really that doesn't help us.

As for the problem, I don't know. I'd run the Console app in the Utilities folder to see if any messages in those logs suggests anything when the crash happens. There is always a small chance iMovie is spitting out some information there.

Things to perhaps consider; is the overlay too big, is it an incompatible file type, are you trying to place an overlay onto another one or other effect? Have you tried creating another user account and trying the same effect?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.