need help with os x!!!

Reaction score
i just got my iMac fixed and got it back the other day. the guy who fixed it had to put xp on it and told me i had to reboot it with os x tiger and update to snow leopard. i cant get internet or noting on my iMac right now and i seriously have no idea what to do. can some one please help me asap. tell me what to download and what to install to get it running on snow leopard again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You go out and buy the Snow Leopard disc ~ there is nothing to download other than pirate copies. Sounds like you took it to some guy at a PC shop who knows nothing about Macs.

Suggest you buy the Snow Leopard disc, boot from the disc and format the hard drive, partition, and do a clean install from your new discs. Then consider installing XP or whatever via BootCamp.

To run Snow Leopard your machine, of which you provided no helpful details, must be an Intel model as PPC iMacs such as G5 etc, will not run Snow Leopaqrd.

OP
C
Reaction score
sorry about the cross posting ive just been very frustrated with this because i havent had my mac in two weeks. well when i first got it it came with xp and i booted snow leopard and it worked fine but this guy told me to do tiger first so i wasnt sure, but ill be fine just booting snow leopard right from the disc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I don't know what this guy did, or is talking about.

When you say it came with XP, I'm guessing that you mean that it had XP installed with bootcamp, as in you had to hold option when starting, and pick between OS X and XP to boot.

When you hold option while booting now, what comes up?

OP
C
Reaction score
No I don't think it's bootcamp, see my Mac would not turn on about two weeks ago, I would press power and the circle loading icon would come on but it would shutdown after, so the guy came to look at it and said it was the harddrive so he replaced the harddrive and the RAM and when he did he installed windows xp on it and told me i had to instal is x tiger first before I update to snow leopard, because I can't access Internet or anything on it right now, and I have no idea what to do

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I don't know what he's done or why you can't access the internet, and I don't know what the guy did, as a failed hard drive won't make the much shut down after the loading circle.... actually sounds like RAM or Logic board if anything, or a liquid spill.

Anyway, if you have you're original install discs, follow my clean install instructions in your other thread http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/windows-classic-linux-other-os/183455-xp-os-x.html
If you don't, go get Snow Leopard and perform the clean install.

PS. Stay away from non authorised Apple Repairers :p

OP
C
Reaction score
i had the original discs but my dad lost them.. so i downloaded a copy and its a dmg file, would i burn the dmg file or change it to .iso and burn it? well i went to this guy because i bought my mac used off of someone so i wasnt sure if apple would take care of it considering i dont have warranty or anything on it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i had the original discs but my dad lost them.. so i downloaded a copy and its a dmg file, would i burn the dmg file or change it to .iso and burn it? well i went to this guy because i bought my mac used off of someone so i wasnt sure if apple would take care of it considering i dont have warranty or anything on it

Downloading OS X is illegal, and even if it weren't, it would be a great way to get malware!
No help is going to be given to you here!

Call Apple with your serial number and they'll send you original install discs for around $17-$20, or buy Snow Leopard $29.
I would advise buying both!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
C
Reaction score
now the software i need to buy is mac os x snow leopard for 35$ correct? and just do a clean install ill be fine?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.