eMAC having problems with os X 10.4.11?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.42 GHz eMac
Hello. I recently purchased a 1.42 GHz eMac running os X 10.4.11 and I've been encountering some issues.

1. Whenever I drag something out, or into the dock it will not save.
2. Whenever I change the background, whether it be an apple background, or a background I get from google, it doesn't save either.
3. I have to install the same default programs several times. (Whenever I shut down, restart, or log out, the programs uninstall)

I don't think it's a saving issue. I downloaded Sophos anti-virus, and it never uninstalls.

If anyone could suggest anything to help, that'd be great.

Lastly, I'm kind of new with Macs. So i'm not sure if this is a Hardware problem, or an OS problem.

- Peter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

See if you can find a Sophos Uninstaller on their web site and use that. There are no Mac OS X viruses, but if you are a switcher and have problems with this, use ClamXAV if you must.

Your problem sounds like the manner you are installing. How and what are you dragging to the Dock? Applications etc?

Do these saved Google backgrounds appear in Systems Preferences > Desktop and Screensaver > Desktop where they need to be installed?

I think your problems are operator problems due to lack of knowledge on how to do things on your eMac. it is not a Windows machine.

OP
PeterBards
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.42 GHz eMac
Thanks for the welcoming :).

On the dock, I dragged out the following; Mail, iChat, Safari, Garage Band, and iPhoto.

I dragged the following into the dock; Firefox, and Skype.

Yes, they appear in Systems Preferences > Desktop and Screensaver > Desktop.

I am new to Mac computer products, so having a lack of knowledge could be the issue.

- Peter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Dock is merely a place for placing aliases of various applications. When you say you dragged out Mail etc., they are all still in the Applications folder and if you require them back, open Applications and drag the icon to the Dock. That poof of smoke merely means the alias is dead and buried.

Suggest you place Mail, or whatever application you use for accessing email, back in the Dock. Saves you going in to Applications several times a day. As for the background, select from with System preferences and make sure you have not selected the 'Change Picture' radio button.

Keep an eye out for my mate hughvane who is an eMac fan. Just right click on his name and select Personal Message to contact him. He is much more knowledgeable regarding eMacs whilst I, at times, think they make marvellous kellecks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
By a chance, if you unplug the emac, let it sit for 10 minuets and then reboot, does it say that it is some day in 1969?

OP
PeterBards
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.42 GHz eMac
When I first got it and plugged it in, it said 1969. I changed that. Also, when I moved it's location it said 1969 again.

So to answer your question yes.

OP
PeterBards
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.42 GHz eMac
Thank you so much! I should have probably searched that issue first. Thanks again :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My pleasure Peter and never be afraid to ask. Here at Mac Forums there are no stupid questions ~ just sometimes some dumb answers!

Keep coming back eh?

OP
PeterBards
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.42 GHz eMac
Thanks man :D, and with the nice people here thus far. I'm planning to stay :)

Thanks again for solving my problem. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.