MBP Keyboard issue

Reaction score
i am wondering what exactly i need to replace in order to fix my keyboard issue. Everything works except for the "i" and "8" keys. it started happening randomly (not caused by spillage or any other neglect). Do i need to replace the keyboard or possibly just the top case cable? i would almost rather replace the the entire topcase + keyboard because replacing just the keyboard looks like it could be a pain. My macbook book pro specs: 17" 2.4GHz C2D. Anybody have any advice?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is your MBP still under warranty or extended apple care? If it is, let Apple deal with it as replacing either the keyboard assembly or the top case is not an easy job.

If the problem with the i and 8 keys is something mechanical (dirty) you can probably deal with that yourself. However, if it's electronic meaning bad contacts or cable, then the entire assemble would have to be changed out. As I said above, it's not easy to do. See the instructions at iFixit: The free repair manual. They also sell parts.

OP
A
Reaction score
repair

My MBP is not under warranty, and I have thoroughly cleaned the keyboard (taken most of the keys off and used canned air to blow any dust out) so I know it isn't dirty/dusty. I am just curious why you think I need to replace the entire top case assembly. I was kind of under the impression it was a short in the keyboard. I have replaced my entire display assembly so doing the work myself wouldn't be a problem, I was just a little leery about having to peel back the black tape underneath the top case to get to the keyboard. That's the only reason I'd rather just get the whole top assembly (since it requires one snap on connecting cable), but I would be up for replacing just the keyboard since it would save a considerable amount of money.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I didn't say you needed to replace the top case assembly - perhaps my wording was a bit confusing. That's up to you of course. But it does look like you need to replace the keyboard assembly which I believe also comes with the ribbon cable that plugs into the logic board.

If you can get the entire top assembly and would rather do that than peel back the black tape to gain access to the keyboard, then go ahead. However, I would think that would run you into a much greater cost than just the keyboard itself. Have you priced out doing it both ways?

OP
A
Reaction score
yeah. It seems like ebay is my best option for getting these parts, and the keyboard itself will run me $70-$100, the top assembly will run me between $100-$150. So I am actually looking for a complete non-working 17" MBP. That way I can get the case/keyboard/fan and also have a duplicate of other things such as a display/superdrive, or whatever else may go wrong with it. I'm actually leaning more towards just getting the keyboard, because I can sell it for $500 with that repair. That puts me pretty close to a unibody 15"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.