install 7 from ext. drive

Reaction score
I have windows 7 on a DVD but I have a macbook air (no optical drive) but I do have an external drive. I was thinking of how to install it from the ext. drive so I can dual boot using boot camp. Would this work?

1. create partition on ext. drive (fat32)
2. extract dvd files into the ext. drive into that new partition I created
3. make partition using boot camp in macb book air
4. install windows 7

Would this work? I have a 500GB ext.drive (USB) that is used for backing up but I can make a partition on it just this time right?

I also have VM Fusion and I easily installed the .iso file that I made from the dvd by using another computer, but it is rather slow running virtualized. Is it possible to install 7 using Fusion into the internal boot camp partition?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Best way to install Windows 7 on your MBA is by using a thumb or flash drive with sufficient capacity. These same directions for doing so may also work for an external drive. You might have to experiment a bit. See this LINK.

As far as using Fusion to create a Boot Camp partition to run Windows 7, that's not possible. Fusion will work that in reverse easy enough to create a VM but not the other way around.

When I chose to install Windows with Fusion, I used XP SP3 rather than Windows 7 because I knew that Windows 7 requires greater resources both from memory and graphics. I do have Windows 7 installed but in a separate bootable partition via Boot Camp.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.