How do you split highlighted text?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Hi Guys,
I find that I am having a problem with a particular action and the simplest way to explain it is with Bookmarking a page.
I am using a Mac Mini Aluminium with 10.6.5 and the latest Firefox.

Let's say that I want to bookmark this particular page.
I move my mouse pointer up to the top of the page and click on "Bookmarks" on the Firefox toolbar.
A drop-down list shows up and I click on the top one for "Bookmark this page".
At this point, a small screen opens up entitled something like, "Page Bookmarked" and you are given the option to change the location where the page is saved and also what name to save the page as. A suggested title is already in place and it is highlighted in blue as .... "Mac-Forums.com - Post New Thread" but I want to save it as "New Thread".
OK, on a Windows computer I could just double click on the highlighted line and an insertion point would appear. I could then use Backspace and Del plus the arrow keys to edit the blue text. I don't seem to be able to do that using a Mac. Is there a way to do it?
BTW, this example doesn't really work because I could just hit DEL and type in what I needed. You have to consider that sometimes it's a lot more complicated.
Cheers,
Steve

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Since the example you are giving works exactly the same as it does in Windows - except you only need to single click where you want the cursor and then use del or fn del to edit the text - I don't have a clue what you're talking about. Sorta doubt anyone else does either.

And, you don't even need to hit the delete key while it is highlighted, just start typing the name you want.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, my apologies for being an idiot but when I click or double click within the highlighted area, nothing happens.
Is that simple enough?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sorry - I just tried it in Safari.

Just now opened up FF and you're right... it's not working to insert the cursor with the mouse/trackpad. It was the last time I added a bookmark in FF, so gotta be a semi-recent bug with FF. You can just start typing while it's highlighted though.

You can also hit the left or right arrow key to insert the cursor at the beginning or end of the line and then move the cursor where you want.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apology accepted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Works for me in Safari and Firefox. Single click inserts cursor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
I have the same problem in FF 4 Beta, but I have a work-around.

In FF, when the "Edit this bookmark" dialog box pops up, depress the tab key ONE time (which will highlight the "Tags" line), then click in the "Name" line wherever you want to split the text. Sounds crazy, but it works on my MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Are you using the Firefox 4.0 beta? I just tried adding a bookmark on my MacBook, which has 4.0 on it and I was also not able to highlight text. Then, I tried it on the Mac mini, which has 3.5 installed, and it worked fine.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As per my opening post, I am using the latest version of Firefox but I don't know how to find out what version it actually is.
I tried the work-around posted by wavinwayne and it worked perfectly so he must be due a few points for that.
I dare say that FF will fix the issue before long.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
As per my opening post, I am using the latest version of Firefox but I don't know how to find out what version it actually is.
I tried the work-around posted by wavinwayne and it worked perfectly...

To find out what version of FF you're running, in the menu bar at the top of your screen, click "Firefox" then click "About Firefox". This will tell you which version you're running. Glad to hear my work-around worked for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I have the same problem in FF 4 Beta, but I have a work-around.

In FF, when the "Edit this bookmark" dialog box pops up, depress the tab key ONE time (which will highlight the "Tags" line), then click in the "Name" line wherever you want to split the text. Sounds crazy, but it works on my MBP.

I couldn't work out what you meant by when the "edit this bookmark" dialogue box comes op, but in trying to get such a dialogue box come up, I control clicked on a bookmark, went to properties, and was able to insert with a single click at the point that I wanted to edit.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Current version of FF is 3.6.13 - just updated this morning from .12.

Still does not work. As long as the title of the bookmark is what is highlighted, you cannot insert the cursor with a mouse/trackpad.

Tab around so that anything else is highlighted and you can then click in the title "one" time to insert the cursor. It will not allow you to use the mouse/trackpad in that line a 2nd time to relocate the cursor unless you once again tab around to highlight something else in the window.

I know this was working in 3.5 - pretty sure that's the last time I added a bookmark - don't really use FF all that often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
I couldn't work out what you meant by when the "edit this bookmark" dialogue box comes op, but in trying to get such a dialogue box come up, I control clicked on a bookmark, went to properties, and was able to insert with a single click at the point that I wanted to edit.

What I mean is: At the far-right of the navigation toolbar, click the star (have to click mine twice). This will bring up the "Edit this bookmark" dialogue box.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.