Same File In the Trash Bin everyday..VIRUS?

Reaction score
Hello there,

I've just switched from windows to mac few days ago and already loving it! However, there's always a folder in the trash bin everytime i reboot the system even though i've emptied it. Could it be a virus or similar? How can I get out from the trash forever? Please help...!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
A computer problem that you don't understand is not the same thing as a virus.

What is the file called?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
what is the file called?

I doubt it is a virus (there are none), and you can only get a trojan by actively installing it - often disguised as legit software or a video codec.

OP
E
Reaction score
The file is called wkresources. I've googled it and many say it could be from the office 2011 and does no harm to the computer. does anyone know how to erase it permanently as it is really annoying.... =(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I think you will have ti just wait for MS to fix that issue, but until then I wouldn't stress about it

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Maybe quit checking the trash every time you start the machine.

Or quit using MS Office.

And if you already knew it is being caused by Office, why come and ask about a virus?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That is interesting as I just installed 2011 yesterday and had a look at all of the apps. Never once have I seen this file created in the trash - but then, I also have automatic updates turned off as I don't like processes launching at boot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Hello there,

I've just switched from windows to mac few days ago and already loving it! However, there's always a folder in the trash bin everytime i reboot the system even though i've emptied it. Could it be a virus or similar? How can I get out from the trash forever? Please help...!!

Many member ask the question about viruses and malware on the Mac and in addition to using the search function at the top of the forum, you'll find almost all your answers here:

Official Antivirus, Malware, and Firewall FAQ

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The file is called wkresources. I've googled it and many say it could be from the office 2011 and does no harm to the computer. does anyone know how to erase it permanently as it is really annoying.... =(

It's a folder that's created by Office 2011 and then dumped in the trash. It only occurs when you run any app from Office 2011. I have been in contact with the MS Office MVP folks in their forum and was told that this will be fixed in a later update.

The reason it occurs is because Office 2011 checks to see if it has been activated. For some reason it checks every time instead of just once during the initial activation process. Anyway, don't worry about it for now. As I said above, it should be fixed in the future.

You can also refer to the MS KB article that bobtomay gave the link to. However, the best explanation is the one that I got from the MVP folks in the Office 2011 forum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.