iMac OSX problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Crap :(
Ok so I am having multiple problems, one starting while I was on my mac.

1: I tried to open up FireFox but it would pop up and then not open anything, so I tried to delete it and reinstall it, but every time I did it said "codec overrun" and when I tried to download it said verification failed.

2:And another problem being, when I restarted my mac, all my system preferences reset, my background, my passwords, my dock size.

3:And some programs like ventrillo and skype lost their information and stuff.

I opened the disk utility and clicked on my user and the one above it and click "Verify Preferences" and then I repaired them. And now things seem to be running smoother but what caused this problem? Also when I clicked Verify it said that some programs like flash, and a lot of different things were -rxsxxsx- and should be -rxfsdsdad- idk the exact letters but they were all different, I did that disk utility thing and it works now, and I have firefox working, going to try to restart now and see if it happens again, but any help or info would be nice please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
See how it goes then.

But also consider downloading Onyx, does what Disk Utility does for maintenance and much more.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
2:And another problem being, when I restarted my mac, all my system preferences reset, my background, my passwords, my dock size.

I don't mean to ignore your other problems, but I believe this symptom may be at the root of the issue.

Did you by chance rename your home folder?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Everything seems to be working fine now, but when I go to my applications list and right-click and make an alias and put it on my dock, it works once but when I try it again the icon on the dock has a greyed out ? on it. I duplicated the app and put it on the dock that way and seems to work now. And no, I haven't changed my root folder or anything, I changed the user name or w.e about 2 years ago but that's about it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Everything seems to be working fine now, but when I go to my applications list and right-click and make an alias and put it on my dock, it works once but when I try it again the icon on the dock has a greyed out ? on it. I duplicated the app and put it on the dock that way and seems to work now. And no, I haven't changed my root folder or anything, I changed the user name or w.e about 2 years ago but that's about it.

Is there a particular reason you're going through all of those hurdles to create a dock icon? Are you aware that you can just run the program, then right click its placeholder on the dock and click "Keep in Dock" (or in 10.6, go to Options => Keep in Dock)?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there a particular reason you're going through all of those hurdles to create a dock icon? Are you aware that you can just run the program, then right click its placeholder on the dock and click "Keep in Dock" (or in 10.6, go to Options => Keep in Dock)?
I wasn't aware I could do that, thank you though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.