Disappearing dock

Reaction score
After playing a video using VLC media player, and on full screen, my dock disappeared. However, I know that it was running, and I got it back by simply logging off, and then log back in again. That will restart the x11.

What I am curious about is what causes this to happen, and if there are any updates or fixes for it? is that because of VLC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome dots . . . . .

Not sure if its anything to do with VLC ...
You might want to try and put the Dock .plist on your desktop then reboot your Mac. This will start the Dock again and create another .plist ... If the problem doesnt happen again then trash the .plist on the desktop and if it does you can put that .plist back ... You can find it here @ ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist

You could also try Repairing Permissions as well via Disk Utility

Is all i have for you atm

Cheers

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi and welcome dots . . . . .

Not sure if its anything to do with VLC ...
You might want to try and put the Dock .plist on your desktop then reboot your Mac. This will start the Dock again and create another .plist ... If the problem doesnt happen again then trash the .plist on the desktop and if it does you can put that .plist back ... You can find it here @ ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist

You could also try Repairing Permissions as well via Disk Utility

Is all i have for you atm

Cheers

Hello , and welcome dots too ...

I just logged out and back in, and it fixed everything. I didn't even have to reboot, and got it in ideal working condition. It has never happened again though, but I am curious to why it does.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.