• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple's iOS 4.2 drops "jailbreak detection" API

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Good. There is no reason for applications to be able to check to see if something legal has been done to the phone.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
This doesn't stop jailbreaking voiding your warranty though. So just restore your iphone/ipad to it's factory settings before you send it into Apple and there'll be no issues. But if you bricked your device I doubt Apple would want any part of that under warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Good. There is no reason for applications to be able to check to see if something legal has been done to the phone.

Just because the copyright office said you could do it, doesn't mean Apple has to allow it or make it easy. Don't get confused. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
This doesn't stop jailbreaking voiding your warranty though. So just restore your iphone/ipad to it's factory settings before you send it into Apple and there'll be no issues. But if you bricked your device I doubt Apple would want any part of that under warranty.
I agree on all counts.
Just because the copyright office said you could do it, doesn't mean Apple has to allow it or make it easy. Don't get confused. ;)
Haha, very true. But this way it's not as easy for applications (which really have no reason to need to know) to see if a phone is jailbroken.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Apple is merely doing a fiscally intelligent thing. This puts the cost, care, liability and feeding of enterprise security on the enterprises that deploy the device. It also generates a new source of revenue for their business partners who develop security applications for the system. Stinks for the small business though as they will now have to decide how much they wish to spend (in addition what they are already contractually obligated to spend on the service and hardware) just to stay in the same place with security audit compliance. Pay more to stay in place... good job Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch i7 500gb HDD, MB black 13 inch 250gb HDD, iPad wifi 32GB, iPod Touch 3rd Gen 32GB, iMac
as much as i hate thieves... i think what we decide to do with our phones is our own choice and privacy should be respected. as much as intellectual property is protected, so should physical property and privacy be.;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.