Mac book crash

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz
Hi
could use some advice. I have a macbook from late 2008 that has suddenly crashed... when the apple symbol came up after start up it just flashed lots of symbols and nothing happened. I have shut down unplugged etc to no avail. I tried restarting using the start up disc and have used the utilities to clean up and have some of my files back. The problem is that it is now runnning OSX and doesn't seem to recognize Safari and many other applications. I have everything on a back up drive but using time machine to restore doesn't work as it says it is not compatible with the OSX version that I am using. I have tried to upgrade the OSX but can't. I seem to be stuck.
Thanks for any advice.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like you have a dying hard drive. It may be time to think about replacing the drive. What version of OS X did you use to make the Time Machine backup and what version is on your MacBook now?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.