Jailbreaking 4.2.1 Questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD
So I recently ordered an iPod Touch (4G) and it should be arriving sometime this weekend, maybe even today. And I am almost 100% sure it will be shipped with 4.2.1. I plan on jailbreaking it, can I save the SHSH blobs? I am asking because I have heard Apple stopped signing the 4.2.1 firmware, meaning I can no longer save the blobs. Will I ever be able to save them? Thanks in advance...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The blobs have to be saved from the device. Since it'll come with 4.2.1 you can't save any earlier blobs.

There is a 4.2.1 firmware currently available, though right now it's tethered only. Which means you'll need to plug it into your computer to boot into jailbreak mode where you can access Cydia and other jailbreak features. However, if you restart without plugging it in, then you'll be in normal mode. It's really not that inconvenient since you don't really have to restart that often.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD
So when I recieve it, I can jailbreak (tethered with Redsn0w) and then still be able to save the blobs? Either with TinyUmbrella or iSHSHit?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Yes. When you save your blobs, you are saving whatever firmware Apple is currently offering. You'll be able to save 4.2.1 until a new firmware is released, then the window closes and you'll be able to save the blobs for the new firmware.

To clarify, Cydia, TinyUmbrella, iSHSHit, etc do not create the blobs. They request the current firmware blobs for your device from Apple. Apple sends a response back and they save the response. Then when you need to use them to restore/downgrade, they intercept the request iTunes sends to Apple and reply back to iTunes using the old saved blobs. They fool iTunes into thinking it received the response from Apple, and iTunes then thinks whatever firmware blobs they sent are the current version. (don't jump on me if my over-simplified explanation is a little off)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.