Weird HDMI Audio Problem

Reaction score
I've got a mbp 7,1. I can't seem to get my audio to output to my Pioneer 50" plasma TV. It says that there's no supported audio speakers or something along that line (I'll have to check when I get home). I know for a fact that my mini-display adaptor -> HDMI cable supports both video and audio output because it works on the other 3 HDTVs in the house. Could it possibly be that the Pioneer doesn't have internal speakers? It has a detachable soundbar that I took off and replaced w/ a 7.1 system. The 7.1 system is hooked up to the TV via audio outputs while the soundbar was hooked up via speaker cables leading directly to the back of the TV. Also, my Dell E6400 outputs audio just fine through the TV to the surround system (if that's any helpful information).

It may all seem confusing, but I'll try and explain more if needed.
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Could it possibly be that the Pioneer doesn't have internal speakers? It has a detachable soundbar that I took off and replaced w/ a 7.1 system. The 7.1 system is hooked up to the TV via audio outputs while the soundbar was hooked up via speaker cables leading directly to the back of the TV.

No internal speakers, and running 7.1 surround, I think that this may be the problem!

Best way to tell would be to reconnect the internal speakers and test it, and then if it doesn't work, refer to the owners manual which will have different audio/video setup configuration diagrams.

OP
S
Reaction score
The TV never had internal speakers to begin with. It came with a detachable soundbar. My Dell laptop outputs both audio and video through, so it must be going from laptop -> tv -> receiver. I just don't know where the audio is being lost from the macbook in this particular "chain of command."

Thanks for trying though!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What's the model # of the Pioneer?

What port are you connecting to on the Pioneer.

I assume you mean System Pref's - Sound indicates no option to select the mdp/HDMI?

OP
S
Reaction score
What's the model # of the Pioneer?

What port are you connecting to on the Pioneer.

I assume you mean System Pref's - Sound indicates no option to select the mdp/HDMI?

The TV is a Pioneer Kuro PDP 5080HD. I can't remember exactly what the system prefs indicates but under HDMI, it says something along the line of "no internal speakers detected." I will have more information later on when I get a chance to hook it up. I am connecting to an HDMI port. I've tried all 4 HDMI ports and get the same outcome each time.

Here is a picture of the connection for the "built in-external soundbar" that I was talking about (Not exact same model but same concept). It might confuse some people because I can't think of any other brands that do their audio like this.
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/sc/32476901-2-300-DT1.gif

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
... It says that there's no supported audio speakers or something along that line ...

What is the "It"? TV or computer?
What options are available when you open "System Preferences - Sound" while they're connected and turned on?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.