Problems with gedit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, Lion, 3.06GHz Core i3, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD
On my Linux machines I got used to using gedit for text editing. I especially find it useful when designing web pages due to the colour-coding of code. I have had no problems with it under Linux, but on my Mac every time I paste something, gedit crashes. Does anyone else have this problem?

OP
Wenfuli
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I all of a sudden got a guilty conscience and became worried that this post/thread was not appropriate on here. If so, I profusely apologise. I tried to delete it, but couldn't figure out how.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Nothing wrong with this thread. There just may not be anyone here using this app in OS X.

I'd try the gedit dev irc channel for support.

TextWrangler seems to be the most recommended around here. But, I have no idea how it compares.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 13.3" MacBook 4,1 Intel Core2 Duo, 4Gigs Ram (2x2G), 2.4GHz, OS X 10.7.2
I haven't tried gedit on my mac yet, but I always used Bluefish for programming and webdesign on Linux. It's open source and available for Mac.

Another popular alternative is Textmate which is a commercial application ($53 CDN for a text editor???). But it does have a 30 day free trial version.

OP
Wenfuli
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's good to know, on both counts.

I'm not exactly partial to gedit, I just liked in under Linux so I thought I would try it on Mac OS X as well. If either or both of the afore-mentioned work fine, I'll be happy to switch. No time to try them out now though as it's time for bed.

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.