Boot Camp Will Not Allow Me To Partition

Reaction score
Model Name: MacBook
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Hi. I am trying to Install Windows XP Home Edition on my Macbook using Bootcamp Assistant and when I get to the Partitioning Stage it comes up with a box saying, "The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved. Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again." I do not know what this means and please help me to guide myself through this. Thankyou.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That error is telling you that your hard drive does not have enough contiguous free space in order to create a partition. You have two choices to correct it:

1. Erase the hard drive, reinstall OS X, restore from backup. (Using Time Machine.)

2. Try using a defragmentation program to consolidate the free space on the drive. iDefrag ($29.95)

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you sooo much but for the time machine it says i need a backup disc or backup something. What exactly is that? Can I use a flash drive or how does that work?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's best to use an external hard drive for a Time Machine backup. A flash drive will most likely be too small and flash drives are usually formatted as FAT-32 or FAT-16. Time Machine will only backup to a drive formatted to the Mac OS X standard: HFS Extended Journaled.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it will work but it's rather small to be using for Time Machine backups.

You didn't say how large your internal hard drive is, but you should use a drive as least as large as the one in your machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.