Macbook Pro Keeps Restarting & Trackpad problems

Reaction score
Hey - SO I have one of the macbook pros that are the Intel but before the intergratted individual key keyboards. so the last generation that looked different.
I'm having a restarting problem. well more of a shutting down problem.
Sometimes it happens multiple times before I"m able to boot it up. Others will be after a few minutes, or if the system is moved. Or it doesn't happen.

I have installed the battery update, I have resetted the ram, I have done the PRAM reset. I can't figure out why this is happening. I have cleaned out the fans in the computer.

also the problem seemed to go away for awhile after I had done a re-install on my OS, but it didn't go away for very long. Which makes me confused as to whether it is software or hardware

The other problem I'm having is with the trackpad. It sometimes doesn't respond very well. I currently have the top part of the chasis unscrewed so I can try to fix this problem, but I found if I lift up the chasis a little bit (where it wouldn't be able to be screwed in) then the trackpad works fine.

Any Suggestions.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'm having a restarting problem. well more of a shutting down problem.
Sometimes it happens multiple times before I"m able to boot it up. Others will be after a few minutes, or if the system is moved. Or it doesn't happen...

Exactly what is the problem???

First thing I'd suggest is popping in your original disc and running the Apple Hardware Test.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

Someone else will have to help with the trackpad, I'm not that much of a tech.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Adding to the AHT, I'm wondering if the battery has expanded (swollen), causing the trackpad issues, and possibly the others.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.