Deleting Files

Reaction score
I am new to using a Mac. I have an IMac. How do I delete files? I try to drag them to the Trash but they stay in the folder.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Dragging them to the trash is the right way and then empty the trash to permanently delete them.

If you can't drag the files to the trash, you perhaps don't have permission to do so. Click on the file and then hit CMD-I to bring up the info panel. At the bottom, you should see what kind of permission you have, and you should ensure you have "Read & Write" permissions to delete files..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Before you go and delete anything..... what are you trying to delete?
I'd hate to see a post about how you deleted a system file, or something else that you shouldn't have, and that your Mac is no longer working!

OP
P
Reaction score
First, thank you so much for answering so quickly.

I have pulled up a document, and did CTRL I. It shows the info.

General info - no problem.

There is a box that says LOCKED however there is no check mark in the box.

Under SHARING AND PERMISSIONS:

It says my privilege is Read & Write; under "everyone" it says Read only.

This is a personal iMac - no one else uses it and I cannot seem to delete ANY files.

?? Any other thoughts?

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you 6string.

I've created a number of files - in excel, word, as well as photos, etc. that I no longer need on the iMac. Simple files that I have created and cannot seem to delete them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
So, if you right click (control + click) and select move to trash, what happens?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Also, do you have the red circle/slash (is that redundant?) at the top of the window? (in the toolbar) You can highlight a file, then click that delete button to move things to the Trash. Then it needs to be emptied.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.