Has apple got rid of the background video feature?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" Standard Spec. iPhone 4 16GB
Hi

Before I upgraded to iOS 4.2 I was able to play a video press the lock button, double tap the home button and press play. This would play the audio of the video but would only show the video album cover.

However now i have updated the software it seems to have stopped working. When I press play it plays then pauses it instantly.

I hope they haven't got rid of it because it was a really good feature.

Has anyone else found this??

Reaction score
Never knew of this feature, and I can confirm that it works on 4.0.1. Sorry can't help, but thanks for introducing it :/

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don"t think it was a "feature". More like a bug that has now been fixed.

Most folks would be pretty upset if they started watching a video, then had to double tap the home button when they decided they needed to lock the screen. Only to find out when they pressed play again, they got no video.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" Standard Spec. iPhone 4 16GB
That wouldn't happen. You had to sleep the iPhone or iPod them double tap the home button to bring up the iPod controls without unlocking the device.

The great thing about it was you could listen to a video and still switch off the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I agree, bug or not it was a handy feature for me too. I suspect this has been removed/fixed during the changes for AirPlay etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.