Mac Mini without WIFI

Reaction score
Hi,

I expect this is covered ground but I cant find anything to specifically answer my questions.

I've bought (but not yet recieved) a 1.25 g4 mac mini without either wifi or bluetooth.

What is the best way to get wifi enabled?

USB wifi dongle - are there any that work?
Ethernet bridge
Or install an airport express card? - I work with electronics so not too scared.

Or just run a wire round the room to the router and stuff wifi.

I want to use the mac mini in my lounge to access spotify, youtube and internet tv through my hdtv.

I'd like to be able to use my iphone to control the mac mini, I have an app that allows me to control my macbook using wifi, both touchpad and keyboard. If I was to run a wire from my mini to the router would I be able to use my iphone to control it?
Or does the iphone connect directly to the mac not the router?

If I was to do an ethernet bridge would it behave as if it was a wireless mac mini or does it connect differently to the router.

Sorry if all this has been covered before and if I've confused anyone!

Oh and by "What is the best way to get wifi enabled?" I mean easiest and cheapest!

Thanks in advance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What is the best way to get wifi enabled?

USB wifi dongle - are there any that work?
From most of what I've heard from Mac Users...they don't work very well. Some have had success...but I believe most have not had acceptable performance.

Ethernet bridge
I've found these complicated to set up (maybe that's just me)!;) And the bridges I've seen & used are sort of expensive.

Or install an airport express card? - I work with electronics so not too scared.

This can cost you over $100 to do. Besides the Airport express card...you need some other special parts to do the install. A "riser card" and a hardware kit.

Or just run a wire round the room to the router and stuff wifi.

This certainly would be the least expensive route (plug ethernet cable into the Mini)...but this of course wouldn't be WiFi.

I'd like to be able to use my iphone to control the mac mini, I have an app that allows me to control my macbook using wifi, both touchpad and keyboard. If I was to run a wire from my mini to the router would I be able to use my iphone to control it?
Or does the iphone connect directly to the mac not the router?

I'm not 100% sure about this. But I think that you would need bluetooth or WiFi to make this work (either of which is going to be expensive to install in the mini). Plus..there's a lot of time & technology between the Mini (2005)...and a new iPhone...from a compatibility standpoint.

Basically you would probably be MUCH better off if you were able to purchase a Mac-mini (ideally an Intel Mac-Mini) with Airport & Bluetooth already built-in.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
XJ beat me to part of it. That is the nicest way to do it if you can afford the Airport card and Mezzanine board.

Pigoo is correct in that a good Wireless Bridge is not cheap, but you can find an old Linksys WRT54G or GL router and install DD-WRT Linux Firmware, you can use it easily as a Router, WiFi Access Point, Bridge, Repeater. I have 2 WRT54G's modded here with DD-WRT and setup is easy. You can find a really old WRT54g for quite cheap on ebay and the Firmware is free.

Just thought I would throw that out there as another option.

I own both the stock 1.25Ghz Mini and the last 1.5Ghz G4 Mini that has the Airport and BT built in.

Also I own an Linksys RangePlus WUSB-100 USB WiFi adapter. It works great in OSX with a Ralink driver. Works well on my old Mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
XJ beat me to part of it. That is the nicest way to do it if you can afford the Airport card and Mezzanine board.

Pigoo is correct in that a good Wireless Bridge is not cheap, but you can find an old Linksys WRT54G or GL router and install DD-WRT Linux Firmware, you can use it easily as a Router, WiFi, Bridge, Repeater. I have 2 WRT54G's modded here with DD-WRT and setup is easy. You can find a really old WRT54g for quite cheap on ebay and the Firmware is free.

Just thought I would throw that out there as another option.

I own both the stock 1.25Ghz Mini and the last 1.5Ghz G4 Mini that has the Airport and BT built in.

Also I own an Linksys RangePlus WUSB-100 USB WiFi card. It works great in OSX with a Ralink driver. Works well on my old Mini.

I actually have that same router sitting in a drawer at home. Were these things just issued to everyone en masse at some point? There are good, simple and everyone seems to have one or have had one at some point. I may have to give that a try for the heck of it. Cool!

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies gents, Im in the Uk so the stores you've linked to might cost a bit to ship stuff over.

Im going to try and hard wire first and see if I can use the iphone, apparently I should be able to.

Then try a Wireless ethernet gaming adapter. From what I can understand this turns an ethernet port into a wireless receiver/sender so will connect directly to the wireless router. So no need for a second part of an ethernet bridge.

Failing this I'll find a broken mac mini to cannibalise, rip open mine and stick an airport card in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good luck. Welcome to the forums and please let us know how it turns put.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies gents, Im in the Uk so the stores you've linked to might cost a bit to ship stuff over.

I think that one of the main ideas behind the earlier store links was...to let you know what the parts look like & how much they cost...not so much to actually order the parts (regardless if the stores are based in the US).

When you add up the total cost of the parts (mezzanine board, hardware kit, and Airport card)...you'll find that you're getting close to the cost of the Mac-mini. That's why it's more cost effective to buy a mini with Airport (and maybe bluetooth) already built-in.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Hello again,

Its finally turned up, just waiting for a dvi to hdmi cable to arrive.

I ended up buying this one as it was a bit of a bargain and I will admit I didn't completely check the specification before I bid! Nevermind, lesson learnt.

Installing an airport card is a last resort, I will stick with it being hard wired I expect. Pretty sure the iphone app should still work as it connects to the router not the actual computer.

Thanks again,

Alex

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...I will stick with it being hard wired I expect. Pretty sure the iphone app should still work as it connects to the router not the actual computer.

Nothing wrong with being hard wired (especially on a desktop Mac)...as long as it's not too much hassle running the cable to the computers location.

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.