Help to identify loose "connector" in iMac, 1 memory slot not working

Reaction score
I recently did an upgrade to add additional SSD to iMac 27' mid 2010, with all the official cables, bracket, etc.

everthing worked great.
but now 1 day later i discovered that my 16GB show up as 8GB!
after testing every memory slot separately - turns out Upper right memory slot now cant read any RAM (Ram is fine in all other slots). When i start mac with any memory in this slot alone - the screen is black and its a beep with a long pause, then a beep again (having 2 RAM modules in upper row - same thing)..

I know the slot was working before - since I tried 16GB before SSD upgrade.
So with all 4 memories it shows up as 8GB. when i remove RAM from this upper right slot - 12GB get registered from the remaining 3 slots.

After removal of logic board I think, i've heard a tiny loose part and found that loose "connector".
I just kept it.
Now I have all the reasons to believe that this connector caused this 1 memory slot to be not working.
Anybody recognizes what could that be?

if you could mark on these photos of logic board where to pay a very close attention (obviously somewhere in memory slots).
http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/ktLKDUFPyGmyPPQJ
http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/g1q3TMAZD1skKwhG

connector.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's difficult to identify what "exactly" the loose part is, but it does look like a grounding tab. Where it goes.... I have no idea? If it is a loose or broken grounding tab that may be the reason your memory slot is dead.

Anyway, since you decided to void your warranty by adding the SSD, I recommend you bite the bullet and let an Apple tech do the repairs. It may involve repairing or replacing the logic board. I really don't know.

OP
N
Reaction score
Now why would that void warranty if I didnt remove any "WARRANTY VOID IF REMOVED" sticker. I should still have my warranty.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you honestly think that because the sticker is in place that your warranty is still OK after you opened up the machine and modified it?

The folks at Apple are expert at that sort of thing. If you believe that your warranty is still good, then take your iMac into an Apple store and ask them to do the repairs to get your memory slot working again. Who knows? They may be generous and do the work for free, but then again maybe they'll charge you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Chscag is correct. Modification of a unit by anyone other than a certified Apple technician can void the warranty. Apple stores won't upgrade the hard drive, but usually 3rd party Apple authorized service providers will. However, Apple techs are people, and if they can't see any damage, and you admit to nothing, they'll usually give you the benefit of the doubt and cover the repair.

My recommendation is to replace the SSD drive with the original, test the RAM slots just in case the SSD SATA connectors are doing something wonky, and if they haven't changed, take it to a store for service. Tell them you have a bad RAM slot and nothing else. If you do that, they'll test the slot, replace the MLB and send you on your way. Replace the drive again when you get home. If the SSD drive is still in the system when they open it, they are ethically bound by policy to contact you, requote for accidental damage and charge you for the repair rather than cover it under warranty. Again, a 3rd party Apple service provider may be more lenient if you want to take your chances and leave the drive in place.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. I will let you know how it got resolved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.