Clean install of Leopard 10.5

Reaction score
Hi

I'm in the process of selling my macbook and want to erase my data and clean install OS X for the new owner. I boot from disc, go past the language prompt and the message pops up "cannot install OS X on this computer"

What the heck do I do with that? Its already running 10.5, so Im really confused.

Anybody any clues?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Find your own disc. You'll not be able to install it with the grey disc borrowed from someone else. Those discs are specific to the system they shipped with.

OP
reemslaw
Reaction score
Oh I didn't know the discs were for specific hardware. I can only find one set, and those must be for my imac. What to do if I cant find the discs for my macbook ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Quickest, latest, easiest way..... go to Apple store, or anywhere else that sells Snow Leopard, and install it. $25-$29.
Other option, is to set up a new admin account, and delete your old one, but this is not the most efficient method, firstly, because you want to test it for a while to be sure, secondly, because you can not perform a clean install, and ensure that your data is safe, and also because, selling it without install discs is loosing you more than the install discs are worth.
I could go on and on about it, but beer number 6 tells me that I shouldn't :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.