Air or pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPod touch, iPad, iPhone4s,apple tv first,2nd gen, airport express and extreme, MBA
Hi guys,
Thanks for having me on the boards.
My dilemma is:
I'm an electrical contractor, I'm looking to do my invoices after every job during the day with either an air or pro.
I currently use myob to do my invoices on our iMac each night. I am sometimes up until 12am invoiceing or quoting.
I had an iPad given to me for fathers day but it doesn't have an myob app.
Which one do I get, air or pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions in the future to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Air would be my choice now. The pro may just be a little overkill for your main needs, and the Air is pure sexy!

C

chas_m

ANY Mac can do invoicing. An MBP just for that would be almost criminal in its sheer overkill. Like buying a tank to go the grocery store.

If weight is a big deal for you, I'd get the 11" MB Air. Otherwise, I'd buy the cheapest functional Intel Mac laptop you can find and just use that -- if all you're doing is invoicing and, I presume, other "basic" tasks (email, surf et al), why spend any real money for just that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I assume you are talking about the 13"MBP. I would get the MBP because you will probably want the, almost double, battery life that it offers over the macbook air.

A MBP isn't really overkill when it's so close in price to the air and offers more.
I wouldn't go with the regular macbook though, it's plastic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I'll just toss out a vote for the MBA. The weight difference between it and any MBP doesn't seem like much on paper, but if you haul around a bag of other moderately heavy stuff with any regularity it makes a difference. I recently ditched a MBP for a MBA because my job was requiring more in town travel between sites. Hauling around a MBP was a pain when added to the other tools I need. A nice MBA feature is it's sleep mode which is sort of an enhanced long tern sleep - much longer than the other Apple notebooks. Much closer to an iPad where you rarely reboot or turn it off. Definitely a handy thing not having to wait for it to "wake up" if you are jammed in the front seat of a truck or van trying to get something hammered out quickly. The MBA is also more of a "solid state" device having few moving parts other than the hinge where the display and keyboard mate up. Less stuff to break or worry about breaking.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Although I frequently recommend any machine other than the MBA, I have to agree with XJ on this one about the MBA. The weight and quick wake may prove to be more beneficial. My advice though would be to visit an Apple store if you can and try out the machines (or anywhere else you can try both out). Ultimately, only you can decide which is better for you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My advice though would be to visit an Apple store if you can and try out the machines (or anywhere else you can try both out). Ultimately, only you can decide which is better for you.

As usual, great advice from Van. I totally agree.

Reaction score
I was in this same situation and i choose the Pro, i found even though the Air is much smaller and compact i liked the look of the Pro more and the fact it has the Superdrive in there as well i could not do with out the inbuilt superdrive, and also i think you get a better spec for your money with the Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2
Pro! I prefer machines with disc drives.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPod touch, iPad, iPhone4s,apple tv first,2nd gen, airport express and extreme, MBA
Wow, thanks for the input guys. I'm leaning towards the air
My sister who is a Mac guru wants me to get the pro.
I've been told the pro is nearly a desktop.
I already have an iMac. I think the air is the go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Good luck. Let us know how you like it. And welcome to M-F.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Good luck. Let us know how you like it. And welcome to M-F.

Um, ok... I know I'm new here, but I really don't want to be referred to as an M-F'er.

kthxbye

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
When in this thread were you referred to as an "M-F'er"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
He was joking, vansmith, referring to the quote from XJ-Linux... get it? M-F = Mac Forums...

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok guys,
I got the 13 inch air. Its awesome.
My next problem is I am trying to move my MYOB file and program from the imac to the air.
Im buggered. Ive tried the migration assistant.
The MYOB program ends up on the air but with none of the files in it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.