Display for Macbook with Mini DVI port?

Reaction score
I have an older Macbook that I want to hook up to an external display to use more like a desktop. The problem when I went to the Mac Store to check out the sweet new cinema display, it only connects with a mini display port.

Since there is no adapter available, what do you guys use as an external display with your older macbooks with the mini DVI port? Is there an older display that would be compatible that i could maybe pick up used on eBay? TIA

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple and Best Buy still sell the mini DVI adapter for older MacBooks and some other models. And that particular adapter is readily available from many third party on line resellers.

Which means all you need is a DVI cable and a monitor or TV which has a DVI input. Just about every external monitor still being sold has a DVI input. If you're in the market for a cinema display, ($$$) that's a different story.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.