getting used to finder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I just switched to MAC after 28 years of PC. I actually like Windows Explorer. It makes moving files from one subfolder to another easy with only one window open. I can't figure out a way in Finder to do this without opening two Finder Windows, resizing and moving them around so that I can see the source and destination folders without one window overlying the other, and then moving the file.
Am I missing something?

Love the Mac, it's very pretty to look at all the neat icons, but for hard core, efficient file work, I think I prefer Windows Explorer.

Mike

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Thanks for the link. I really do like the Mac, and I probably should get used to using the Mac, before resorting to Windows-style programs. I think you get fast at anything if you use it enough.
Now if Apple could just give me a real, fully-functional right-click.

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You can certainly move a file around without opening a 2nd Finder window. Click on the file and don't "let go". Move it around to other folders and such. The sidebar makes this pretty easy. Just have to get used to "hovering" over a folder to "open" it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Excellent. That works great. Thanks for the help.

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Also, In List view, click the little disclosure triangles to expose more than one subfolder's contents within a single window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
Thanks for the link. I really do like the Mac, and I probably should get used to using the Mac, before resorting to Windows-style programs. I think you get fast at anything if you use it enough.
Now if Apple could just give me a real, fully-functional right-click.

Mike
What is not functional about right clicking on a Mac.. Enable secondary click in system preferences and right clicking works just fine.

Reaction score
I've used Pathfinder in the past - good... but now have moved to using Totalfinder
TotalFinder brings tabs to your native Finder and more!

It integrates directly into Finder - and allows you the option of displaying two panes, and you have an option of having folders on top (up to you!)... and the latest version apparently supports cut & paste of files/folders (not tried it myself yet...).

And there's a 'visor' feature i really like also - i've set it up so double tapping the option key brings up finder (in my dual pane default mode), and goes away/autohides once finished with. Nice feature.... optional again.

Well worth a look.

Coops

Reaction score
I've used Pathfinder in the past - good... but now have moved to using Totalfinder
TotalFinder brings tabs to your native Finder and more!

It integrates directly into Finder - and allows you the option of displaying two panes, and you have an option of having folders on top (up to you!)... and the latest version apparently supports cut & paste of files/folders (not tried it myself yet...).

And there's a 'visor' feature i really like also - i've set it up so double tapping the option key brings up finder (in my dual pane default mode), and goes away/autohides once finished with. Nice feature.... optional again.

Well worth a look.

Coops

Now that is cool! Thanks for the excellent link. I had also forgotten about pathfinder as well. All great choices for extra functionality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Another vote for TotalFinder. Fantastic little Finder bolt-on.

Reaction score
Totalfinder's great - that visor is lovely, it's resizable then it comes up to cover whatever amount of screen space you prefer, allowing for easy drag/drop to Burn or others and so on, and once you're done and click on any other window it goes away again (autohide).

Pathfinder is good - but the integration of totalfinder into Finder itself is a real bonus - and it seems to be implementing useful features very quickly - like the cut/paste Cmd-X option which has been an ancient requested item over at Pathfinder.

Think copy with Merge of folders might be in the pipeline also.....

anyway - at present it's my file manager of choice (after using/trying Pathfinder and Mucommander).

Coops

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Total Finder looks like it has a lot of the features that I bought Pathfinder for, at about a third of the price. Honestly the things I use the most are in Total Finder. Cut&Paste, show hidden files, tabbed browsing and folders on top are why I bought Path Finder.

I have not used total finder but reading through the docs - here are some of the stuff in Pathfinder that don't seem to be implemented in Total Finder. Again the main reasons I bought Path Finder was because of the above features but I've grown to like these.
-Customizable Context Menu