External DVD burner not mounting

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a MacBook owner, running OS 10.5.8.

A few months ago I bought a Samsung SE-S084 super writemaster external DVD burner. It worked great for several weeks. Just plugged in the two USBs and we were off and running.

I put it away for about two months. Today I try to plug it in and burn some DVD backups... and... NOTHING. The burner will not mount. System profiler recognizes it as:

USB Mass Storage Device:

Product ID: 0x0842
Vendor ID: 0x13fd (Initio Corporation)
Version: 6.17
Serial Number: SATASLIM00000000000
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: TSSTcorp
Location ID: 0xfd100000
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 2

But There's nothing I can do to get this thing to mount. Nothing.

Any advice??? The burner is practically brand new and I do not want to have to buy a new one.

Thanks all in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you try putting a DVD in the burner to see if it then mounts? I have an external LG burner that will not mount unless there's a DVD or CD in it. Then it mounts and shows the contents on the desktop.

I also have a 3.5" external floppy drive that acts the same way. It won't mount unless a disk is in it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.