Apple 30 inch cinema display

Reaction score
I have just purchased a apple 30inch cinema display before they were discontinued. I also purchased additional apple care on monitor.
The monitor was faulty and apple suggested i return this and they would replace with a new unit. However it appears that after only 1 month of end of line apple have no further 30 inch monitors worldwide to replace a faulty one.
They have agreed to try and repair the monitor but if they cannot I can have a refund or 27 inch display.
I do feel apple should have been upfront with customers as to the lack of availabilty as it appears that if anyone has a similar problem with there cinema display and it cannot be repaired they will have to go for a 27inch glossy display. This seems rather silly as most of us that bought the 30inch have done so for the matte display and would not want 27inch glossy.

Were does that leave people that have been misinformed. Should Apple be challenged. Many people who use 30inch display for business may be in for a nasty surprise.

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
They have agreed to try and repair the monitor but if they cannot I can have a refund or 27 inch display.

What the heck do you want Apple to do...if they don't have a replacement 30" display to give you...there's not much else they can do! If you don't want the 27" display Apple has offered to replace your faulty 30" display...then just take the refund and call it a day.

Other than the glossy vs. matte issue...the 27" technologically speaking is superior to the much older 30" display! The 30" Apple display came out in 2004...so technologically speaking...it's 6 years old. The 30" display also has a VERY slow response time of 16ms. This is VERY slow by todays standards!

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Wow

calm down

i know all the technical points, i am looking for constructive responses

apple have clearly not been upfront

i suppose you feel quite smug being the owner i assume of a brand new state of the art 27inch display

i will remind you that just because the technologies newer does not mean it is better !!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i suppose you feel quite smug being the owner i assume of a brand new state of the art 27inch display

Actually I don't have one. The newest piece of Apple hardware I own is a 2007 Macbook Pro.

You've got your options:

- get the 30" repaired
- take the 27" Apple has offered
- or take the refund!

Good luck,

- Nick

p.s. If you're angry with Apple...take your anger somewhere else...we don't need it here!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
I stand fully behind pigoo here.

Apple is offering you the best they can. What’s 3” off of 30? Is it really that bad?

And why are you angry about this anyway? They said they were going to try and fix it, and backed you up with a new slightly smaller monitor or a full refund.

I see nothing wrong with what Apple has done here.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I will have to agree with both Pigoo and Printerman here. And no, I do not own an Apple 27" or 30" display for that matter. Just an old 22" from many years ago.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IAnd no, I do not own an Apple 27" or 30" display for that matter. Just an old 22" from many years ago.

If you did...you would have a ton of money to spend on a used Intel Mac!:) And of course if you did...I would be envious!;)

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions in the future to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

As much as it bites the bullet big time in your shoes, have to say, welcome to the ever changing world of electronics.
Be glad you didn't buy a Samsung. They would have you waiting for 6 months or more with a non-working unit sitting in your house before they would have even made the offer to exchange. The option available to their customers is to continue waiting or take the exchange. You would never get an offer of your money back from them. I can testify, I've waited those 6 months plus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
The 30" did get a rework in '07 (I believe) that brought the response time down to 14ms and also improved contrast ratio, viewing angle, brightness and maybe some other improvements if my memory serves me correctly. I have used both extensively, and I can tell you that I think that (other than pure real estate), they are basically evenly matched in most applications. Just comes down to matte vs. gloss.

And Nick...I am not defending the OP...just defending the 30" a little. ;D

Not much Apple can do....they can't relaunch the line just to provide you with a replacement. I think the offer to refund is pretty generous. As Bob said, you wouldn't be getting that from other maufacturers.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And Nick...I am not defending the OP...just defending the 30" a little. ;D

No problems...thanks for the info. If the 30" Apple display did get updated in 2007...I haven't heard about it anywhere (at least not at the websites I frequent).

My biggest "beef" with the 30" display is that really slow response time. Too bad Apple couldn't have done better than 14ms from the original 16ms.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.