Clean Restore without disc (willing to buy new disc) Question?

Reaction score
Hi there

I am complete newbie to this so forgive my lack of 'mac awareness'. I have recently aquired an old apple mac computer but have no discs or recovery cds. As you can imagine the computer is crammed full of old stuff I want to get rid of. None of this needs to be kept. After looking through other forums I see that a full system restore cannot be completed without a 'disc utility'? Unless someone can tell me different.

So if this is not possible I was wondering if I bought the snow leopard upgrade (cheap one) would I be able to do a clean install using just the new disc? Any help on this would be good as I would quite like to use this mac.

From what I have found out about it its a late 2006 model. Run OS 10.4.11? Im noot sure if this helps?

Any help would be greatly appriciated from the experts.

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So if this is not possible I was wondering if I bought the snow leopard upgrade (cheap one) would I be able to do a clean install using just the new disc? Any help on this would be good as I would quite like to use this mac.

From what I have found out about it its a late 2006 model. Run OS 10.4.11? Im noot sure if this helps?

We need to know the exact system specs on this computer (#1...need to know if it has an Intel cpu in it). You NEED an Intel CPU to install OS 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Sure you may be able run OS 10.4.11 (depends on the system specs)...but 10.4 on the older side...and if you have an Intel CPU you would be better off with OS 10.6 Snow Leopard. And even if you don't have an Intel CPU...since it's a 2006 model Mac...you would be better off with OS 10.5 Leopard.

Both OS 10.4 Tiger & OS 10.5 Leopard...will cost you around $100...probably closer to $125 for Leopard. If you have an Intel CPU...Snow Leopard 10.6 would only be $29.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. To find out what cpu you have...go to the "Apple" menu...then "About This Mac".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.