Help: pb g4 15": change normal keyboard with backlit one

M

mac_addicted

Hi,
I've got a pb g4 15" 1.33ghz with a normal keyboard. I'd like to replace it with a backlit one. Do you know if it is possible?
Thanks for the help

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't know for sure, but I don't think it is just the keyboard. I blieve the there is more work involved. So I don't think you can upgrade your system if it did not have it in the first place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
rman said:
I don't know for sure, but I don't think it is just the keyboard. I blieve the there is more work involved. So I don't think you can upgrade your system if it did not have it in the first place.

I would imagine this is correct... It seems like it would require the motherboard to send more power to light up the keyboard as well as have the keyboard function. Plus the firmware has to know how to turn the lighting on and off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz 2GB
I know it can be done with ibooks and it gets its power from the same wire that goes to the trackpad. So maybe it can be done. I'm sure someone out there has done it and wrote a tutorial.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Has it been done on an iBook? That is news to me if it has been done.

OP
Y

yubozhao

well i dont recommand anyone doing that,1 mistake your PB is gone......also where would you get the backlight keys??

OP
D

Darth_Sandwich

I won't say you "can't" do it, but I can say that it would be highly inadvisable.

Using my new 15" PB as a reference, in order to get to the keyboard, one has to almost completely disassemble the machine to even get at the keyboard. I imagine there are backlit keyboard modules available on the 'net, but you would seriously have a difficult job of it, I should think.

If you want to know the whole procedure to install or replace things, www.pbfixit.com has illustrated, free guides on how to install or replace just about any part.

Again, I really do not believe that this kind of surgery would be a very good idea. You would almost certainly void any warranty you might have, and unless there's already a handy plug available to power the keyboard light, you may need to do some *really tiny* soldering.

An alternative would be to purchase an external USB keyboard that has a backlight. I have one by a company called...Illuminex, I think. It has a soothing, adjustable blue glow. The keys are all translucent, though, so you don't get an effect as nifty as the Powerbook's backlit keyboard, but it's much less dangerous.

Just my .02!

OP
M

mac_addicted

Thanks to all!

Guys,
thanks to all for the valuable informations. I quit my idea to do the upgrade: too many suggestions not to do that!

Darth_Sandwich said:
I won't say you "can't" do it, but I can say that it would be highly inadvisable.

Using my new 15" PB as a reference, in order to get to the keyboard, one has to almost completely disassemble the machine to even get at the keyboard. I imagine there are backlit keyboard modules available on the 'net, but you would seriously have a difficult job of it, I should think.

If you want to know the whole procedure to install or replace things, www.pbfixit.com has illustrated, free guides on how to install or replace just about any part.

Again, I really do not believe that this kind of surgery would be a very good idea. You would almost certainly void any warranty you might have, and unless there's already a handy plug available to power the keyboard light, you may need to do some *really tiny* soldering.

An alternative would be to purchase an external USB keyboard that has a backlight. I have one by a company called...Illuminex, I think. It has a soothing, adjustable blue glow. The keys are all translucent, though, so you don't get an effect as nifty as the Powerbook's backlit keyboard, but it's much less dangerous.

Just my .02!
:p

OP
H

Harryc

Now if some manufacturer decided to build a kit for iBooks that included an entire new back lit keyboard assembly with hookup instructions, I bet they'd be able to sell more than a few.

Reaction score
mac_addicted said:
Hi,
I've got a pb g4 15" 1.33ghz with a normal keyboard. I'd like to replace it with a backlit one. Do you know if it is possible?
Thanks for the help

It can be done. But not without alot of hassles.

ed724

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
i really wanna see backlit keyboard in a PB 12" :bone: am i the only one?

OP
L

Lasha

I don't see it working out at all since you would also have to get a sensor which is located under the left or right (or both?) speakers of the PowerBook. This light senor is what detects the light, and is what triggers the backlight to be powered, and etc. Now, I don't know if that's software or not, but I think it's firmaware.

I'm pretty sure there's a way to do it, but not worth the risk of losing your PowerBook.

OP
P

PaRaGoNViCtiM

I thought that revision of the 15" Powerbook came with a backlit keyboard?! Am I mistaken?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Lasha said:
I don't see it working out at all since you would also have to get a sensor which is located under the left or right (or both?) speakers of the PowerBook. This light senor is what detects the light, and is what triggers the backlight to be powered, and etc. Now, I don't know if that's software or not, but I think it's firmaware.

I'm pretty sure there's a way to do it, but not worth the risk of losing your PowerBook.

the sensor isn't 100% necessary. You can control the backlight with the keys on the keyboard. The sensor is just for it to automatically turn on/off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.