Scanner problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
We have an Epson Perfection 1240U scanner. An elderly, but very good scanner. USB conection to our iMac 21 1/2". When the scan button on the scanner is pressed the iMac doesn't recognise that there is a scanner there until the usb cable is disconnected and reconnected several times. Once that is done it normally recognises that the scanner is there when the button is pressed again, but not always.

It is also difficult to change settings for the scanner, auto and manual. At the moment I am using the driver that came with the machine. Does anyone know if there a better driver that I can download for it please???

Failing that and I bite the bullet? What would be the best scanner that I can get for it without taking out a mortgage:\:\:\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
That old Epson operated on USB 1.1, and OS 9, but it should still operate with USB2/OS X.

Check this website Epson Perfection 1240U Photo, Drivers & Downloads - Technical Support - Epson America, Inc. for necessary drivers. Make sure you choose the correct one for your processor and OS version - if you don't have them already.

Replacement? The V700 is the bees knees when it comes to Epson scanners. Not cheap though. The V600 or lesser might suit both your work and your wallet. If it were me, I'd stick with Epson brand, I'm persuaded they make the best home-use scanners.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Thank you Hugh. I have downloaded and installed the driver correct driver. How do I go about finding out exactly which driver is installed for various devices? On a PC (wash my mouth out!) I know how to find them, but I'm a bit lost on here?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.