can one access radio station in iPad?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
No luck on either the iPad or my MB Pro. In both cases Safari responds with a message that the server has stopped responding.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA
No luck on either the iPad or my MB Pro. In both cases Safari responds with a message that the server has stopped responding.

Thank you for testing that for me.

I have a Win 7 Computer whare it does work.

I intend to purchase an iPad for X'Mas and hence wanted to know.

Would this ever become playable in an Apple's OS, in your opinion?

Regards

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're welcome. I did a little more poking around and here's what I found out: If I enter just the IP address portion of that url Safari attempts to load the file on my MB Pro and then generates a different error as it attempts to load my Flip4Mac Windows Media Plugin. I'd bet this is a protected Windows Media format file. No idea when a future upgrade might make it playable.

I could be wrong here. This isn't exactly my area of expertise.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You should provide the URL of the web site for someone to try rather than the address of the streaming link.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That'd be the one. I'm not at a Mac right now, maybe a couple of others can try it out from there.
But, don't think there is way to stream .asf to any of the iDevices.
That's a proprietary Windows codec.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA
That'd be the one. I'm not at a Mac right now, maybe a couple of others can try it out from there.
But, don't think there is way to stream .asf to any of the iDevices.
That's a proprietary Windows codec.

Thank you for that.
By theway the radio station stops broadcasting at GMT 18 Hours.

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I opened that link on my MBP and clicked on "Radio SriLanka" on the right-hand side. It opened a new window and after loading for a few seconds played static. So, maybe it's off the air right now. But static is something. I'll have to give that a try on my iPad as well...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Nope, won't play in iPad. It brings up a page with a message that says "Play in VLC" and when I tap on that, it opens VLC but doesn't play anything. *shrug*

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope, won't play in iPad. It brings up a page with a message that says "Play in VLC" and when I tap on that, it opens VLC but doesn't play anything. *shrug*

That's the same thing I got on the iPhone also.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA
Thank you very much guys for trying.

Hello MYmacROX
I tried to open in MBA the above link, the SLBC webpage opens but the "Radio Srilanka" on the right hand side does open a new window but does not play the station broadcast.

By theway radio station function from 00 hours GMT to 18 hours GMT.

What a shame it does not work in iPad either.

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well i just opened the page and clicked on the Radio Sri Lanka and here is the music i got DropBox

My son has run away with my iPod Touch to be able to try it out in there .....

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA
Well i just opened the page and clicked on the Radio Sri Lanka and here is the music i got DropBox

My son has run away with my iPod Touch to be able to try it out in there .....

Your link is not life streaming!! That is not the radio station.

Are you streaming in a Mac computer & if so have you installed any software to recognise the above radio station. It does work well in a Windows by the way.

How did you do it? Did you install any different tto the itune to play the radio station? Would you mind sharing?
Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
No All i have installed is Perian ~ The SwissArmy Knife for Quicktime and Flip4Mac ~  Downloads.
These two Apps are for Mac OS and allows Windows media to be played in Quicktime.

All i get once the station starts is the QuickTime Component within the Safari browser ...
20101209-bqbmmp9hdmit2p4igfhpqjpibq.jpg

So not sure what is up with your end. I just recorded that Audio clip with Audacity and when i double clicked the saved .wav file it just opened in iTunes.
So in short, the station should open from within your browser NOT iTunes ...

EDIT : Sorry bout the size Mods, Skitch just did a update and its completely different. Give me time to work resizing out lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
The link you gave in your first post plays fine on my iMac. I do not have an iPad to be able to check it with.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't find any way to open them on either my iPhone or iPad - at least not natively.

Doesn't appear to be an app that will open asf files either. They all work on mp3 and aac broadcast stations.
Found one app that says it can stream SLB's station 101.3 called TuneIn Radio - but I wouldn't buy an iPad expecting that to work.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA
I can't find any way to open them on either my iPhone or iPad - at least not natively.

Doesn't appear to be an app that will open asf files either. They all work on mp3 and aac broadcast stations.
Found one app that says it can stream SLB's station 101.3 called TuneIn Radio - but I wouldn't buy an iPad expecting that to work.

Thank you very much for your time and effort bobtomay. It is really appreciated

Regards

C

chas_m

On my Mac, which has Flip4Mac WMV Player and Perian loaded (both free), I clicked on Radio Sri Lanka on the website and after a moment it played perfectly.

Because an iPad does not yet have the ability to convert WMV streams on the fly, it cannot play this particular station. They are using WMA 9 Standard. This is rather foolish of them, as it prevents literally millions of potential listeners from tuning in. You should write them and suggest they set up an MP3 or AAC+ stream of their station, far more "standard" and works fine on all platforms, including iOS devices and other smartphones.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA
On my Mac, which has Flip4Mac WMV Player and Perian loaded (both free), I clicked on Radio Sri Lanka on the website and after a moment it played perfectly.

Because an iPad does not yet have the ability to convert WMV streams on the fly, it cannot play this particular station. They are using WMA 9 Standard. This is rather foolish of them, as it prevents literally millions of potential listeners from tuning in. You should write them and suggest they set up an MP3 or AAC+ stream of their station, far more "standard" and works fine on all platforms, including iOS devices and other smartphones.

Thank you chas.
I will give try on my MBA as you have suggested.

I will copy your information to post to them. But knowing their work ethics, I cannot hold my breath to see any change. Shame.

Very kind of you to assist me.

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.