Macbook Pro Glossy Screen Removal

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I apologize if this has been discussed somewhere already, but I couldn't find anything about this.

I have a mid-2009 15 inch Macbook Pro. Like most of you, I think the glossy screens are a bit annoying and have been looking for a decent solution (ex anti-glare films, etc.) to address the issue.

I find a ton of stuff about replacing LCDs, etc. but was wondering, what if I simply removed the glass cover? What lies underneath this reflective piece of glass? Is it the standard matte LCD that apple has now opted to include as part of its lineup? If so, can't I technically remove the glass and find a compatible aluminum bezel with to drop over it to leave the screen uncovered? (I realize this might be difficult, but I'm sure not impossible).

Appreciate your thoughts -

On a side note, I did find this: 661-5295 Anti-Glare Display Assembly - 15inch Macbook Pro Mid 2009

Which would be a simple swap since the display assembly is pretty easy to remove, that way I can pick this up and ebay my current glossy display. But again - is this even necessary if I can just remove the glass bezel and leave what's underneath?

Thanks!

Reaction score
I had to replace the glass in my MBP a few months ago due to an unfortunate incident. Let me tell you, that glass is HARD to remove and will more than likely crack in the course of removing it. If you are careful, as I was, even if it breaks it won't hurt the screen, it just means its even harder to get the rest of the glass off. Cautious application of heat, and a razorblade will get the excess glue off. Under the glass the LCD is directly exposed, as is the iSight module, and other things...IF it is possible to just drop a bezel in place after removing the glass, definitely go for it, You would not want to leave that stuff exposed.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks Dalton63841. You're exactly right that's why I don't even want to fumble with it.

Anyone else have any experience in doing this that can give their opinion?

As a side note, I just found this display: 661-5478 Display Clamshell, Antiglare, Hi-Res - 15inch i5-i7 Macbook Pro Mid 2010 A1286. It's the Matte Hi-Res display they're dropping in on the new Macbooks. It says it will fit a model A1286, which is what I have. Does that mean it's fully compatible? It looks identical, down to the connectors....

Appreciate your advice Mac Forums members!!!

Thanks.

Reaction score
What's underneath the glass is (obviously) the LCD and a frame. The iSight camera is exposed, and there will be a thin adhesive tape coating the metal frame. Basically, everywhere underneath the black part of the glass it will be sticky.

It's not exactly something that looks pretty.

The LCD is the same as what goes into the 13-inch white Unibody Macbooks, just bigger, so if the LCD was exposed its not like it's any more fragile than any other LCD in the old Macbooks or Macbook Pros, but it's going to look mad ghetto.

Unfortunately, no one sells the metal "bezel", and no third party company makes it. Believe me, this has been discussed a lot in the 13-inch Macbook Pro forums.

The matte assembly will be 100% compatible, but there may be a slight chance of the LCD having issues. Chances are you should be ok, but I would buy it on eBay from a seller that allows returns. If it works, you could sell your assembly for probably what you pay for the matte one.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
WHy not just buy an anti-glare screen film for it? I like the matte screens on the mbp, but I hate the aluminum trim around it. I picked up an anti-glare film off ebay for...if I remember...less than $15 shipped. Have had it on for too long to even remember the exact date, and is perfect.

Also, it's almost impossible for a regular human to replace just the actual screen/bezel itself, you would have to buy the complete screen panel(which is a safer bet for it to actually come out in working order).

Honestly though, it would just be cheaper to sell your mac and buy a new one than spending 600 bones!

Reaction score
Thanks Dalton63841. You're exactly right that's why I don't even want to fumble with it.

Anyone else have any experience in doing this that can give their opinion?

As a side note, I just found this display: 661-5478 Display Clamshell, Antiglare, Hi-Res - 15inch i5-i7 Macbook Pro Mid 2010 A1286. It's the Matte Hi-Res display they're dropping in on the new Macbooks. It says it will fit a model A1286, which is what I have. Does that mean it's fully compatible? It looks identical, down to the connectors....

Appreciate your advice Mac Forums members!!!

Thanks.

I didn't read yours all the way through. The high res will give you problems, as it is not compatible. You could find a matte low-res, that's what you need to find.

Try here:

15 Inch MacBook Unibody Display LCD Screen NEW

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In my humble opinion, if it's not broke....

I've read a few posts here and elsewhere of attempts to replace the glossy screen display with an anti-glare, and without exception, each remarked of the difficulty involved. Several ran into problems that cost $$$ to rectify.

My advice is to sell your current MBP on eBay or Craig's list and get what you can for it and apply that to a new MBP with an anti-glare screen. Your machine is still worth quite a bit (MBP hold its value well.) to sell and that would eliminate the risk of damaging the machine attempting a swap out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
In my humble opinion, if it's not broke....

I've read a few posts here and elsewhere of attempts to replace the glossy screen display with an anti-glare, and without exception, each remarked of the difficulty involved. Several ran into problems that cost $$$ to rectify.

My advice is to sell your current MBP on eBay or Craig's list and get what you can for it and apply that to a new MBP with an anti-glare screen. Your machine is still worth quite a bit (MBP hold its value well.) to sell and that would eliminate the risk of damaging the machine attempting a swap out.

Exactly what I was thinking.

OP
M
Reaction score
bummer! i just upgraded to 8gb of ram and a 1tb scorpio blue... still in the process of making it "mine" so didn't want to get rid of it :-(

not to mention my bender vinyl decal on the front!

alas you all have good advice though - I know it's probably best to leave it be, so will check out the anti-glare/privacy film option. perhaps it's not as bad as I think...

though trying to find a good version of that is also difficult, plus i'm terrible with applying any sort of protective screen, my iphone will tell you. people knock powersupport and ivisor by moshi, where to next?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.