How to Unlcok filevault without a login. Forgot password.

Reaction score
So here is the story. My wife and I own a 03 Mac G4 with new software OS X 10.4. well new at the time I bought it. anyways, the samsung power supply went out on the computer two years ago. The computer I dont care about that much but what is on the hard drive I do. So i just completed installing all the parts needed and as soon as I turnned the computer on..... yep it ask me for a code my wife put on. (its her computer. I know. i know. she cant remeber the login and password. Key problem is the home folder is "filevaulted"

So, i have been searching the web for any headway. below is a list of my pro's and cons.

Pros.
- I have the mac OS X software complete in package.
- and I have internet.

Cons
- I do not have the master login/password
-don't have a the correct password nor login.

all i care about is pulling the documents from the two hard drives I.E. pictures, video, documents, music.

Question?????????????????

How do I get into my old computer?

apple.support stats if you lost your admint password on a filevault home folder your F*&^ked.

Is my music/photos/documents in my home folder? regular set-up was done when OS X was installed. can i reboot mac and still have what I am trying to pull off the hard drives?

can I pull the harddrives and transfer the information onto another hardrive???? then whip my computer clean?????

PLease advice if you know a way.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
Ugh sorry about the last unfinished post, I accidentally hit post quick reply before I was done, and you can't edit posts in the mobil le version.

Nope. Nearly 100% sure your files are lost. That's the point if filevault. No one is supposed to be able to access your files without the password. That's why most of us urge for people not to use it unless absolutely necessary.

Reaction score
Sadly, if you don't know your password, or the master password, and the "password hint" didn't help you, then that data is lost. Sorry, wish the answer were more positive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
For any who comes across this thread......
STAY AWAY FROM FILEVAULT unless you are a bank, secret agent, etc!
Even then..... get a real vault!!!

OP
C
Reaction score
For any who comes across this thread......
STAY AWAY FROM FILEVAULT unless you are a bank, secret agent, etc!
Even then..... get a real vault!!!

Still the question stands. Is it possible to pull the hard drives and transfer documents to another hard drive? Is the Filevault encryption Built in to the mother board or on each hard drive?

OP
C
Reaction score
Re:

Ugh sorry about the last unfinished post, I accidentally hit post quick reply before I was done, and you can't edit posts in the mobil le version.

Nope. Nearly 100% sure your files are lost. That's the point if filevault. No one is supposed to be able to access your files without the password. That's why most of us urge for people not to use it unless absolutely necessary.

I here ya. Ya I wish I was the one who added the new software. I was un aware the were on lock down so much. is it possible to remove the hard drives and transfer to another hard drive? I guess I'm asking is the encryprion based on the motherboard or in each HD?

Second questions is if Mac OS X was install the "recommend" way. (just regular chick, install) will my documents be in my "home folder"?

Third, I have two HD 60G's I believe OS X is installed only on the primary HD. if I pull the second HD...whip computer clean and install back in to a fresh computer, will I have the documents from HD 2??????

Thanks for the ear/help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
When you turn on FileVault, your home folder's contents are placed inside an encrypted disk image file. Even if you connect the hard drive to another machine, the disk image file will still be encrypted. The only way to decrypt that file it is with the password or master password.

There's no way around that. It wouldn't be much use as a security feature if it didn't work that way.

Any files not stored in the FileVault home folder would not be part of the encrypted image and will still be accessible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
FileVault only uses 128 bit AES encryption. Get a password hash generator and go to town.

OP
C
Reaction score
Re

FileVault only uses 128 bit AES encryption. Get a password hash generator and go to town.

"hash generator." Please Elaborate. I dont this one. find someone who can break to encryption? I mean I own the danm computer. paperwork and all. not like I'm steeling something. just want my documents from the past 5 years. now I know the keys words we would have used for login and password. I just can seem to get it write. I have a whole page written out with key words it could be. do people have the ability to input my quessed password and have a computer run algorithum?????

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're fighting a losing battle. As "technologist" pointed out, your home folder is in an encrypted disk image file. Without the password your data is lost. Forget about hash generators or cracking. Either remember the password or move on and try to piece your data together again if possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

"Only" 128-bit AES, huh? So if you can get a few thousand IBM Blue Gene nodes, it'll only take you a few millennia to crack. No problem.

Reaction score
Yeah, you aren't going to crack it. If you can't remember your password then you are out of luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Something like a modded version of JohnTheRipper (there are custom versions) to work on cracking that pass. If it's that important to you, it's do-able.

It could take a few millenia if you used a 9+ character password with upper and lowercase letters.

How I’d Hack Your Weak Passwords

This link has a nice table showing the amount of time with an average PC.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
So in other words my 28 character passwords - not happening in our lifetime?

The kids freaked out as I read off the password so they could join one of my networks here at the house over the Thanksgiving weekend. They decided their passwords weren't too good and called me up to help them modify some of theirs when they got back home.

C

chas_m

Man I hope everyone who uses FileVault reads this thread. I was going through some SERIOUS deja vu reading the OP over and over again NOT UNDERSTANDING what FV is, what it does, why it will f you over if you lose the password.

Call me old and cranky, but I'm honestly beginning to believe that people under let's say 30 *don't fully understand* that some things can't be undone, or get a do-over, or an extra life.

I blame Nintendo. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.