mac crash??

Reaction score
i think my MBP has a virus? not sure

all that happens is the load screen when you first turn it on the white screen with the circle telling you its loading, whats wrong with it??
didnt do anything to it just went to turn it on one day and now this happens

C

chas_m

There are no viruses for Mac. So no, it's not a virus.

What maintenance have you done? How recent are your backups? What model is this, how old is it, what OS version, etc etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Quoted from another member's signature:

"A virus is NOT a problem with your computer that you do not understand!"

...or something like that. ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

I know you will scream Semantics, but that is old news and NOT a true virus. DNS changer Trojan. You have to download it and give it the password to install. It does not self install nor Self Replicate.

I found that and deliberately installed it on an old Mac to see what it was. ** Hum and I had it zapped in the terminal in 30 seconds.

Yes the Times they are a Changin. Chrome OS with apps on the web is almost here! :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
keep us posted. If that does not work we will try something else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Glad you got it sorted :)

There's no really any maintenance needed.

Just be sure to keep as much free space on your HD (min 20%), and other than that, just run any software updates that come up.

You can use this utility once every 2-3 months just to clean out basic clutter.
OnyX Download OnyX for Mac - OS X maintenance & optimization tool. MacUpdate.com
Be sure to download the correct version for your version of OS X.

When you use it, once it has checked the smart status and verified the disk, just select the automation tab, check everything in there, and you are good to go.
After you use it, things will be little slow to load (as all your caches will have been clean up), but that is only temporary.

What I do recommend is purchasing an external HD, and keeping up to date Time Machine backups.

Mac 101: Time Machine

OP
B
Reaction score
thank you!!, can anyone recommend a good external hard drive

off of newegg.com?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank you!!, can anyone recommend a good external hard drive

off of newegg.com?

Since you have an MBP, I would get something with Firewire 800. Much faster than USB 2.0. I have had really excellent luck with Western Digital externals here. New Egg should have one.

Edit: just checked, New Egg does not have hardly anything External with Firewire anymore. I would check OWC. They have a lot of very good external drives.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.