bye bye iPhone 3g

Reaction score
My new Windows Mobile 7 phone was delivered today, the Samsung Focus. All i can say is WOW....its totally awesome. I am way more excited about this phone than when i got the iPhone. So now the iPhone 3G is going in the junk drawer.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Will be interested to see a review once you've had it for a bit. So far, all of the reviews I've seen seem to focus on its deficits versus Android/iPhone. Not sure if you have a Mac, but I'd be interested to see if that works as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I think that post was intended to get a reaction....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Can I have your old iPhone 3g? :D Grin

Do keep us posted on your experiences with the new Windows 7 phone. Also does it work with an Mac and OSX?

OP
J
Reaction score
So far here is what i have as far as pros and cons Vs iPhone.

Samsung Focus

Pros:
Larger screen
Removable battery
MS Office integration. Can create / edit word, excel power point and OneNote documents
Music (Zune) Player has much larger text for artist, album and Song
Pictures – Much better organization, Albums can be broken down in to multiple sub albums
Contacts are integrated with your facebook friends on your phone. So any missing info from your main address book gets pulled from facebook, including their avatar.
Several of the apps function better and are more polished visually as compared to their iPhone counterparts.

Cons
No copy and paste
No Landscape key board option in certain apps
Lack of apps
Cannot sort apps to the way you want them listed.
Alarm clock is not loud enough
no customizable ring tones for your contacts
8 gig model only, but has micro sd card slot to accept up to a 16gig micro sd.

im sure there will be more cons as i dive deeper into the phone, however, i am still really impressed with this phone. i cant find if its supported on a MAC, but im sure it would be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FYI, you can integrate your friends facebook info in the iPhones address book via the facebook app itself, including their avatar. Just sayin...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Zune..... Lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
Zune is a funny word. Thats about it. Versus an iphone 3g screen, a terd looks polished nowadays. At the time it was introduced though it was pretty amazing. Kind of like the first color tv or standard definition before HD. The retina display on the iPhone 4 is the highest resolution screen out there though, as of what I know now anyway. Pretty soon everything will have better screens, but only after its already been done. In terms of word, excel and etc. Microsoft could make an easy killing in the app store with a functional product but obviously ego prohibits good ideas like that. Leave it up to Apple to pave the way for these things. And just for proof of how well they're doing, check this out... Steve Jobs Named MarketWatch's CEO of the Decade - Mac Rumors

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Zune..... Lol

I actually kinda like the Zune interface. The Zune desktop software, on the other hand, is utter garbage.

Reaction score
Cool, keep us posted for sure. I still have a 3G and might be planning to replace it in the near future.

Reaction score
So far here is what i have as far as pros and cons Vs iPhone.

Samsung Focus

Pros:
Larger screen
Removable battery
MS Office integration. Can create / edit word, excel power point and OneNote documents
Music (Zune) Player has much larger text for artist, album and Song
Pictures – Much better organization, Albums can be broken down in to multiple sub albums
Contacts are integrated with your facebook friends on your phone. So any missing info from your main address book gets pulled from facebook, including their avatar.
Several of the apps function better and are more polished visually as compared to their iPhone counterparts.

Cons
No copy and paste
No Landscape key board option in certain apps
Lack of apps
Cannot sort apps to the way you want them listed.
Alarm clock is not loud enough
no customizable ring tones for your contacts
8 gig model only, but has micro sd card slot to accept up to a 16gig micro sd.

im sure there will be more cons as i dive deeper into the phone, however, i am still really impressed with this phone. i cant find if its supported on a MAC, but im sure it would be.

I'm glad you like your Windows phone, but I'd like to point out as was also noted above, that the iPhone will sync Facebook and contacts.

And I still cant understand why people are so hung up on a removable battery. The iPhone's integrated design lasts longer than all its competitors, and replacement batteries for most of those cost more than an emergency recharger for an iPhone

OP
J
Reaction score
so far in the 3 days i have had the phone I have not had any dropped calls. I usually drop at least 2 calls a day on the iPhone 3g, this has happened ever since the first day I got it.

the volume levels for the music is more consistent between songs on the Samsung, with the iPhone the volume would decrease or in crease on certain songs....those same songs are fine on the Samsung.

the random play or shuffle is so much better on the Samsung, i have yet to hear the same song more than 1 time. on the iPhone, even with doing that weird setting in itunes, the randomness was not all that. i would hear the same song 2 or 3 times in the same day. i tried more times than i can remember to get iTunes to really randomize or shuffle up the songs better, but noting worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the volume levels for the music is more consistent between songs on the Samsung, with the iPhone the volume would decrease or in crease on certain songs....those same songs are fine on the Samsung.

You do know this was feature you could enable on the iPhone, right? It's called "Sound Check" and it equalizes the volume between all the music as it plays.

I'm not even going to touch the shuffle comments.

I can't help but note that after 3 days you haven't said anything about integration with the Mac though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
My new Windows Mobile 7 phone was delivered today, the Samsung Focus. All i can say is WOW....its totally awesome. I am way more excited about this phone than when i got the iPhone. So now the iPhone 3G is going in the junk drawer.

Don't put the 3G in the junk drawer; Sell it!! Those things still fetch a nice price on ebay.

Reaction score

I'll bite.... I have been using iPods and such for a long time and I have also noticed that the shuffle algorithm that Apple use is horrible. I have even had a song play twice in a row on several occasions. I don't really care all that much but it is annoying when you are working out or doing something and can't get to the device to fast forward.

As for the rest, I am sure there are a lot of things that both phones can do. I would also be interested in its ability to integrate with a Mac but phones are phones in my opinion. Apple has lead the way and Android and Windows are making decent offerings as well. All of them, in my opinion, are nice phones. Price is what is going to probably affect my next choice.

OP
J
Reaction score
You do know this was feature you could enable on the iPhone, right? It's called "Sound Check" and it equalizes the volume between all the music as it plays.

I can't help but note that after 3 days you haven't said anything about integration with the Mac though.

I tried that and it did not work.
i dont have a mac so i cannot comment on that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried that and it did not work.
i dont have a mac so i cannot comment on that.

Seems to work fine on my iPhone 4, although I usually leave it off (works fine on my old iPhone 3G/iPod as well).

I assumed if you were on a Mac forum talking up a Windows phone you at least had other Apple products besides an old iPhone. Silly me.

OP
J
Reaction score
I assumed if you were on a Mac forum talking up a Windows phone you at least had other Apple products besides an old iPhone. Silly me.

this is the iPhone, iPad, iPod section is it not?

anyway.... I have zero regrets for switching to the Windows Phone 7. The only thing i miss about my iPhone is not having Angry Birds on my WP7. But thats due out by February i believe.

another pro for the windows 7 phone is I can access my credit union and other banks with out the need for iPhone apps that have limited capabilities. I can now access my banks from my phone just like i can with my PC.

another con: sometimes the music wont pause when i answer a call, but most of the time it does

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
another pro for the windows 7 phone is I can access my credit union and other banks with out the need for iPhone apps that have limited capabilities. I can now access my banks from my phone just like i can with my PC.

3 Credit Unions, 1 Bank. I can access them all (could with my 3G as well) within Safari and without Apps (not all of the HAVE Apps even). Sorry, still sounds like you just didn't know how to use your iPhone, or just didn't want to.

Um, yeah. Since you don't use one anymore and this IS a Mac based forum, I'm not sure why you are still posting about this phone other than to try and convince yourself about the validity of your purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3

anyway.... I have zero regrets for switching to the Windows Phone 7. The only thing i miss about my iPhone is not having Angry Birds on my WP7. But thats due out by February i believe.

I am also primarily a PC user (I have dabbled in OSX on an old G4 Power PC but in the end, It wasn't enough for me to fully switch) but love my iPhone (Especially since upgrading to a 4) and from what I've seen of Windows Phone 7 it's a decent phone with the capability of beating android but I don't think it will sway a majority of the iPhone people. Biggest downsides so far are:

lacking internal storage.
There is no 32GB Windows 7 Phone yet. (Yes some models do have a microSD slot but some reviews have stated that there are restrictions on those slots which makes me weary).

still just a 1st gen phone.
There are many wrinkles to be worked out in the OS (Cut and Paste, Multitasking, etc) that are already fixed in IOS. Let's see what Windows Phone 7.5 or 8 looks like before jumping on the bandwagon.

Problematic support model
If an app or built in function dosen't work on a windows phone 7, who's tech support do you contact? Microsoft, HTC/Samsung/LG/Dell, the provider? With Apple, there is no run around and finger pointing; they handle all the tech support themselves (This is the primary reason I abandoned Windows Mobile 6. GPS wasn't working with the HTC authored APP so I called AT&T who said it wasn't their problem and pointed me to HTC. They claimed it was an OS issue and that 6.1 would fix everything...it didn't.) No run around at all so far with iPhone.

Again, I am not an Apple Purist. I have tried out many different phone products and (IMHO) in the end, iPhone seems to offer more to the end user as far as apps, stability and especially customer service.

-Mike

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.