bye bye iPhone 3g

OP
J
Reaction score
3 Credit Unions, 1 Bank. I can access them all (could with my 3G as well) within Safari and without Apps (not all of the HAVE Apps even). Sorry, still sounds like you just didn't know how to use your iPhone, or just didn't want to.

Um, yeah. Since you don't use one anymore and this IS a Mac based forum, I'm not sure why you are still posting about this phone other than to try and convince yourself about the validity of your purchase.

oh boy, you crack me up. I do know how to use my iPhone so dont even go there. and yes for your information, i did try several different things to get the iPhone/safari display and login to my banks and it would NOT work. So I used the apps they had and they were pretty lame at best, and had limited functionality. Im really glad you have awesome banks that work with safari on your iPhone.

I dont need to validate or justify anything here or anywhere to make myself feel good. Im just giving my opinion of what the Windows Phone 7 can and cant do, compared to the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I tried that and it did not work.
i dont have a mac so i cannot comment on that.

So help me understand why you're here if you don't have a Mac nor an Apple iOS device?

BTW, I've moved this thread since it is about a Windows 7 phone and not about any Apple products.

Also, here's my answers to your "pros"

Larger screen
So what? It's a phone, I'd rather have a beautiful retina display than a big phone. I want portability, that's the point of the device.

Removable battery
Again, so what? It's not as if most people need to replace the battery anyway. And if you do, just pop into an Apple Store for about 5 mins. BTW, how's the battery life on that phone? lol

MS Office integration. Can create / edit word, excel power point and OneNote documents
Big deal, not a feature most people want or need on a phone. But for the record, there are apps that let you do this easily on the iPhone.

Music (Zune) Player has much larger text for artist, album and Song
Zune, enough said.

Pictures – Much better organization, Albums can be broken down in to multiple sub albums
This is a personal preference. I prefer to manage my photos via iPhoto on my Mac.

Contacts are integrated with your facebook friends on your phone. So any missing info from your main address book gets pulled from facebook, including their avatar.
Um, this can already happen on the iPhone.

Several of the apps function better and are more polished visually as compared to their iPhone counterparts.
Doubt this is even possibly true unless you just have bad taste or poor UI design recognition.

Reaction score
A bank I used to use also didn't work worth a flip on the iPhone. However, they were updating the site right before I closed the account to function better with smart phones.

OP
J
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by james515
I tried that and it did not work.
i dont have a mac so i cannot comment on that.

So help me understand why you're here if you don't have a Mac nor an Apple iOS device?
i still have 3 iOS devices

Also, here's my answers to your "pros"

Quote:
Larger screen
So what? It's a phone, I'd rather have a beautiful retina display than a big phone. I want portability, that's the point of the device.
Next time.... do your research. The screen is larger (not by much), but the phone is just slightly larger than the iPhone 4.
iPhone 4
Dimensions
Weight4.8 ounces
Size (inches)4.5 x 2.31 x 0.37 inches

Samsung Focus
Dimensions
Weight4.07 ounces
Size (inches)4.84 x 2.56 x 0.39
The retina display of the iPhone 4 and the Super Amoled display on the Samsun Focus are very close in quality. The retina may be a little sharper, but the Amoled has much better colors and darker blacks.

Quote:
Removable battery
Again, so what? It's not as if most people need to replace the battery anyway. And if you do, just pop into an Apple Store for about 5 mins. BTW, how's the battery life on that phone? lol

The battery life on the Samsung Focus is holding its own against any iPhone. nothing to lol at there. The reason for having a removable battery is NOT due to failure or having a spare one standing by. removing the battery it the only true way to reset a cell phone, if you understood how cell phones really worked, you would know this. Also there are privacy concerns if you CANT remove the battery.... use google to find out more

Quote:
MS Office integration. Can create / edit word, excel power point and OneNote documents
Big deal, not a feature most people want or need on a phone. But for the record, there are apps that let you do this easily on the iPhone.
Corporations will like this better than the average user. I used one of those iPhone apps for documents, but i prefer the built in office on the Windows 7 phone. its a personal preference.

Quote:
Music (Zune) Player has much larger text for artist, album and Song
Zune, enough said.

If you would take time to look at a windows 7 phone you will see that the visual aspect of the song playing, album art and extra album art and text are far superior, and much easier to read than that of the iPhone. I no longer have to pull the phone up to my nose to read the song playing.

Quote:
Pictures – Much better organization, Albums can be broken down in to multiple sub albums
This is a personal preference. I prefer to manage my photos via iPhoto on my Mac.
I have over 5600 photos in 186 albums/sub albums on my phone. They are already organized on my PC, so when i sync they NEED to be in the same layout as on my PC. the iPhone would not do this....Windows phone...Yes, a perfect match. Now I can quickly access photos in about 30 seconds or less that I need to show a client, Vs the 3 or 4 minutes it would take me on the iPhone.

Quote:
Contacts are integrated with your facebook friends on your phone. So any missing info from your main address book gets pulled from facebook, including their avatar.
Um, this can already happen on the iPhone.
got me on that one...

Quote:
Several of the apps function better and are more polished visually as compared to their iPhone counterparts.
Doubt this is even possibly true unless you just have bad taste or poor UI design recognition.
again, you need to get your hands on a windows 7 phone so you can see the visual differences between apps like facebook, weather.com, you tube you can always pop into an att store and play with one for a few minutes so you can see for yourself it is possible. and no i dont have a poor taste in UI design

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
and no i dont have a poor taste in UI design

You're just not getting it are you.

Yeah, is sounds like you DO have poor taste, but those who do usually don't know they do so your denial seems to work fit right in.

-1 rep.

A bank I used to use also didn't work worth a flip on the iPhone. However, they were updating the site right before I closed the account to function better with smart phones.

That's the banks issue, not the phones.

What I find most disingenuous about this whole thread is that you are comparing an at least 2 year old device against a brand new one. Maybe if it was an iPhone 4 I'd be less skeptical about anything you say. Maybe you should compare that 3G to an old Windows Mobile phone for a better technological comparison. Otherwise you simply come off as trying to be some sort of a condescending "smart <donkey synonym>".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i still have 3 iOS devices

Well if you want to participate here for help and discussion of those three devices, that's fine. If you're sole remaining purpose here is to hawk your Windows 7 phone and put down Apple's devices, then I suggest you figure out a better forum to start visiting because trolling is not permitted.

again, you need to get your hands on a windows 7 phone so you can see the visual differences between apps like facebook, weather.com, you tube you can always pop into an att store and play with one for a few minutes so you can see for yourself it is possible. and no i dont have a poor taste in UI design

I have seen more than one in person already and yes, I still think you must have poor taste in UI design if you possibly think their apps look better.

For the record, I also find it hilarious that you're putting down a 3 year old model phone by comparing it against a newly released phone.

Reaction score
I don't think he is trolling, he is doing a fair comparison using his opinion on what he sees. Saying that he has "bad taste" in UI is not only subjective but just a pot shot to upset him. As a developer, if I had a dollar for every person that wanted changes to my apps because it would "make it better" I would already be retired by now. UI is simply subjective and nobody will ever agree that one rules them all. He likes the new UI and you guys like the iPhone UI, who cares...

IMHO, I have played with several phones. I like the iPhone for simplicity but as a geek, I like to be able to customize which is where the iPhone is lacking to me. Does that mean it is a crap phone? No, it means I have different tastes than others.

My biggest concern with Windows phones is that they are going to treat it like they always have. Basically they introduce it and then pull development on it putting focus back on the PC. This is a trend that they have been following for several years and it is annoying as ****. If, and it is a big if, they do put their weight behind this new phone OS (which I am looking at now as I am a windows developer) it has a chance. Otherwise we can sit back and watch them sink it like they have done to other products that are outside of the PC realm.

What I do agree on is the comparison of a 3G phone to a newly released phone. My 3G can't hold a candle to what is now being released and the iPhone 4 is a lot faster with a much better display but the UI is basically the same.

I also forgot to mention that I would have loved to have a replaceable battery. My 3G battery is on its last legs and I now have to rip the phone apart to replace it. No need for a new phone yet as this one still works fine, it just would have been nice to be able to replace it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think he is trolling, he is doing a fair comparison using his opinion on what he sees.

In one post no, he's not, which is why he's not banned right now.

My main point is, if his only intention from here forward is to come here to put down Apple products, that would be considered trolling.

It's no different than if someone joined and the only thing they posted were things putting down Mac OS X and saying Windows is better when they actually have no vested interest in Apple or the Mac platform.

We exist for Mac and Apple enthusiasts and potential switchers. We are not here to serve as platform for people who have no interest in doing anything other than putting down the things for which this forum exists. There are other places online where they can do that. :)

OP
J
Reaction score
In one post no, he's not, which is why he's not banned right now.

My main point is, if his only intention from here forward is to come here to put down Apple products, that would be considered trolling.

It's no different than if someone joined and the only thing they posted were things putting down Mac OS X and saying Windows is better when they actually have no vested interest in Apple or the Mac platform.

We exist for Mac and Apple enthusiasts and potential switchers. We are not here to serve as platform for people who have no interest in doing anything other than putting down the things for which this forum exists. There are other places online where they can do that. :)

My intention is NOT to bash or put down apple products. I started out by giving a review of a new phone i purchased and the differences between it and the iPhone (all gens). and that it will be the new phone i continue to use. There are some things this Windows phone does a lot better than the iPhones (all gens). if you think that is an attack or put down to apple products, then by all means ban me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if you think that is an attack or put down to apple products, then by all means ban me

You are clearly still not grasping what I'm saying. Go back and carefully re-read what I wrote, I'm not sure how much more clear I can be on this.

Reaction score
My intention is NOT to bash or put down apple products. I started out by giving a review of a new phone i purchased and the differences between it and the iPhone (all gens). and that it will be the new phone i continue to use. There are some things this Windows phone does a lot better than the iPhones (all gens). if you think that is an attack or put down to apple products, then by all means ban me

Then let me ask this as I am contemplating a new phone...

What are some of the things that iPhone does better that you miss?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Can't you play Xbox games on a Windows phone? I heard that on tv and I was like wait what... That would be pretty cool if it worked. Most lag hard though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.