Terminal root confusion

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm new to this forum, and I'm really confused as to why my computer is looking like this:

IBTQ6.png

It says matt-pc, but I'm on a macbook and my name isn't Matt.

Is there any way to change it? And has my computer been compromised?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Is it a public network? Are you using DHCP?

For what ever reason it appears that the the prompt in the terminal picks up the host name of the last computer to have the DHCP address on that network if that lease address is still active. Not sure if this is true for all DHCP servers or not.

.....or at least that is my belief. It happens to us all at some point or another if you are hoping from network to network on a regular basis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Perhaps try deleting your network interface and adding it again? If you have access to the DHCP server or router that handles your overhead, you could also try removing that system's entry. I've seen on occasion where an old /etc/hosts file will have a legacy ip/hostname entry that clashes with what DHCP wants to assign. Of course, someone could just be having fun with you and edited your PS1 value in your .profile settings. ;) You could try an nslookup on your system and see what the network believes it to be. That might at least distinguish as to whether it is your computer or network that is acting oddly.

Reaction score
Go to system preferences and select sharing. Then select the edit button. What is listed there? Was this a used machine when you got it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you just want to change what the Terminal says, change the prompt string (PS1) variable in the /private/etc/bashrc file.

The default value for the prompt string under Snow Leopard is
Code:
PS1='\h:\W \u\$ '

the [font=Monaco, Menlo, Lucida Console, Andale Mono, Consolas, Courier]\h[/font] part means "hostname." (The above posters have explained why your hostname might be "matt-pc.")

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies!
I was at my home connection before, but now that I'm at a coffee shop, it is no longer appearing as matt-pc.

Go to system preferences and select sharing. Then select the edit button. What is listed there? Was this a used machine when you got it?

It's listed as woosterson's macbook. And yes, I bought it from someone on craigslist about a year ago, but I've reformatted it at least 3 times and installed SL.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.