Remote Access to Harddrives

Reaction score
I have been looking around and cannot really find the answer to this question.
On my home network I have a mac pro with 2 internal HDs that I want to configure to access remotely. I am running Leopard on my mac pro and Snow Leopard on my laptop which I will use to access these drives. I want to set it up so that I can do connect to server or something and it will allow me to mount my 2 harddrives on my mac pro. I am not running server software on the mac pro just normal leopard. The mac pro is also on a Cisco/Linksys home network. I can easily open ports etc. So i need to set it up so i can do connect to server (afp://myhomeip) and it will allow me to access my 2 home harddrives. I know I can setup an FTP server on that computer but I would much rather be able to mount the drives as network drives. Any help would me much appreciated. :D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
From what I understand, this should be possible. You'll need to forward port 548 (AFAIK, that's the AFP port) to your Mac Pro. Then, outside of your home network, simply connect to afp://<external IP>. You should be prompted for a username and password.

OP
D
Reaction score
kk

thanks for the quick response, i'll try that when i get home. then do i also have to add the 2 drives under the file sharing section in system preferences.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.