Need Help Choosing a Superdrive.

L

LastVampyer

Hey guys,

I have a Macbook Pro 2.2ghz but the superdrive is broken and needs replacing.

The details of the old one are:
Model: GSA-S10N
Part Number: 678-0558A
Manufactured: September 2007

I found a few on eBay but I'm not sure if they're compatible (or if I can link them in this forum)

Anyone know if I can post links in this forum? :p

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, you can post links. However, I suggest you buy your superdrive from an authorized Apple reseller, one that warrants what they sell. Other World Computing sells optical drives for most Mac models. LINK

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I wouldn't buy the first one you linked to anyway since it's used. A used superdrive can be well worn or in fairly new condition. In my opinion, you would be taking a chance - besides not being sure it will work.

The second drive is new and will probably work. Replacement drives are not inexpensive as you're finding out. Have you thought about just using an external drive instead?

OP
L

LastVampyer

The thing is, I have a kernal panic and need to do a complete format of my hard drive and I tried doing that with an external cd drive but it wouldn't work so I think I need to install this internal drive.

I tried going into the bio...EFI by holding down command, option, f, 0 and power button but that doesn't work either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Why do you need to format the hard drive and do a clean install? Kernel panic attacks are usually hardware related. Usual culprits are memory failing or wrong type, failing hard drive etc. Boot from the discs that came with your computer, Option D and run Apple Hardware Test in extended mode first up and keep us posted?

You do not go into the BIOs on a Mac - here is a list of key commands:-

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1343

OP
L

LastVampyer

It's not hardware related. All of the stuff is original. I know you cant go into the "bios" anymore (circa 2007 I think) but I tried the old key combination just in case.

I don't have the boot CDs and even if I did, the optical drive doesn't work anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.