Switching Keyboards?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
Bit of an odd one perhaps but.....

I have an iMac that's around 3-4 years old and came with the white wired keyboard with 2x USB 1.1 ports on it. This works fine and I'm happy with it but I have just bought myself a ProTools system (audio editing system) and I would like to get a dedicated keyboard for it (one with all the shortcut keys marked on the keyboard itself).

However because this is the family Mac I want to just swap the keyboard over only when I'm using ProTools so that my family and I can use the 'normal' keyboard at all other times simply because they don't use the Mac as much as me and often have to refer to the keyboard buttons and would find it confusing to see ProTools shortcuts there.

The cost of a dedicated ProTools keyboard is stupidly expensive but I can buy a set of stickers and a cheap mac keyboard for around £20. The question is do I need to buy an identical keyboard to the one I currently have i.e. if the key layout is slightly different will my Mac recognise the new one if I hot swap it or would I have to reboot and/or change a setting somewhere to get it to work?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.