Questions Regarding Replacing A Broken LCD Screen

Reaction score
Hey everyone I need some input about replacing an LCD screen.

I've got a 15" macbook pro A1226 2.4GHz from back in 2007 with an intel chip. I accidentally dropped it a few feet while in my backpack. I've been making due with pinching the sides of the screen with clothespins and using an external monitor while the semester was going. Not I really want to replace this screen.

I know about ifixit and plan on doing it myself. (I opened up and fixed my xbox360 so I think I can handle this)

First of all my screen looks like this (but it's a mac not what is pictured):

b712jp.jpg

The actual questions I have are:

Is it definitely a cracked LCD screen? It's gotten worse over time which I'm assuming is what would happen to it.

What size should the lcd be for my model say? 15 inches? 13.3 inches?

What is the difference between Matte and Glossy?

Where are the best places to find parts?

Will I get it cheaper than here? Apple Macbook Pro Screen LCD 15 inch

Thanks in advance! This fix is a year and a half in the making and I don't want to mess things up.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Does pinching the sides of the display case allow the picture to return to normal? The reason I ask is that doesn't look like a cracked screen - although the photo you submitted is not all that detailed.

Post back.

OP
K
Reaction score
Does pinching the sides of the display case allow the picture to return to normal? The reason I ask is that doesn't look like a cracked screen - although the photo you submitted is not all that detailed.

Post back.

Yeah if I pinch the left/right sides of the screen on the metal midway between the top and bottom it will go back to normal. I have to hold it with heavy duty clothespins/paper clips and it's gotten worse over time.

Reaction score
1. It's definitely a cracked LCD. The only other thing that would cause that would be something wrong with your display cable or the graphics card, but if you dropped it you need to replace the LCD.

2. Your screen is a 15-inch Macbook Pro.

3. Matte is antiglare, glossy is shiny.

4. There are a lot of different places to get parts online. One is ScreenCountry.com, another is PowerbookMedic.com, another is ETechparts.com.

ScreenCountry.com is currently out of stock of the screen that you are looking for.

5. You aren't going to find it for much cheaper than the $229 price on PowerbookMedic.com

My advice to you is to remove the two screws on the bottom corners of the display assembly, then use a spudger or some piece of plastic to go between the metal frame of the screen and the plastic edge to separate the backing. Once that comes off, use the model number of your screeen in a Google search.

You may have some compatibility issues with earlier revisions of your LCD. For example, if you have an LG screen with A1 at the end, you can use a screen with A1, A2, A3, or A4. But if your screen is A3, you can't go with a screen that is A1 or A2.

Open up the back of the screen and let me know what model LCD you have. It should look like LP154WP2-TL A1 or something like that.

OP
K
Reaction score
1. It's definitely a cracked LCD. The only other thing that would cause that would be something wrong with your display cable or the graphics card, but if you dropped it you need to replace the LCD.

2. Your screen is a 15-inch Macbook Pro.

3. Matte is antiglare, glossy is shiny.

4. There are a lot of different places to get parts online. One is ScreenCountry.com, another is PowerbookMedic.com, another is ETechparts.com.

ScreenCountry.com is currently out of stock of the screen that you are looking for.

5. You aren't going to find it for much cheaper than the $229 price on PowerbookMedic.com

My advice to you is to remove the two screws on the bottom corners of the display assembly, then use a spudger or some piece of plastic to go between the metal frame of the screen and the plastic edge to separate the backing. Once that comes off, use the model number of your screeen in a Google search.

You may have some compatibility issues with earlier revisions of your LCD. For example, if you have an LG screen with A1 at the end, you can use a screen with A1, A2, A3, or A4. But if your screen is A3, you can't go with a screen that is A1 or A2.

Open up the back of the screen and let me know what model LCD you have. It should look like LP154WP2-TL A1 or something like that.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I'm not going to risk opening it up until Thursday night when I'm done for the semester. I don't want to risk losing access to important stuff... But that will be my mission on Friday, I will bump this thread with the added info.

Also, if anyone else has any input throw it in for good measure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
insurance?

If you have a renter's policy, I'd contact them as well. I highly recommend renter's policies for anyone renting an apartment or a technology rider for homeowners. Both can be had for just a few dollars a month, and usually cover computers for just about anything. Our tech rider costs us less than $100 per year for up to $7000 coverage. My wife dropped a very out-of-warranty iBook, killing it dead. For a $100 deductible, insurance replaced it with a new MacBook (which I claimed, and gave her my iBook).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+1 For a technology rider on your homeowner's policy or a separate scheduled list of items. I pay an additional $65 per year on my policy and it has paid off for us in the past.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.