Trouble with installing Windows 7 with Bootcamp, before it even installs!

Reaction score
Hey,

So I just upgraded to Snow Leopard (I know, took me long enough) and I created a partition with Boot Camp. Now it tells me to insert the Windows CD and continue, so I insert a 32-bit Windows 7 disc and it restarts.

I then get a black screen, it shows the "Loading Windows" bar at the bottom, that fills up in about a minute, then it shows the Black screen with the coloured logo saying "Starting Windows" or something. Then it goes black, and stays that way.

I noticed most threads mention a black screen, but it was after Windows actually installed. I'm not even getting that far. I've spent the whole day looking at threads and trying stuff, but so far, no luck.

Please help me! I'm missing out on so many good games for PC on Steam... :Grimmace:

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Is it a full retail version of Windows 7?

Did you format the bootcamp partition as NTFS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Welcome to Mac-Forums

When inserting a Windows 7 DVD to install, as you rightly say it should have a white bar that loads in around a minute, but after that it should get to a screen with a window asking for you to select your language and location, then on to installing or repairing windows. If it is going to the windows logo saying starting windows, then there is something wrong, usually an error it encounters when trying to boot from the DVD.
Check your DVD for scratches etc, also like mrplow says make sure you have a full retail version.
If all is good, my first suggestion would be to start OSX remove the boot camp partition, restart OSX, then recreate the boot camp and try again.
Let s know how you get on and we will help further

- Simon

OP
C
Reaction score
It is a full retail version of Windows 7 Home Premium. Ir formatted the way Boot Camp formats it, which I think is MS-DOS (FAT32).

I don't think it is an issue with the disk, I've tried both the 32-bit and 64-bit, but I'm sure I can only run the 32-bit version on this Mac from memory when I did it about a year ago.

I removed the partition with Boot Camp, reset the Mac, partitioned and installed again with the same issue. 'Windows is loading files' with the white bar, then the Logo saying 'Starting Windows' then the black screen of death.

At least Microsoft have moved away from just using the blue screen for that.

Do I have to format my Mac? I'd prefer not do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
For windows 7, as per the boot camp install guide, you need to format the bootcamp partition, within the windows install routine, as NTFS.

OP
C
Reaction score
themselves obseser

mrplow, I cant get in to the windows install routine. It doesn't go that far...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK.

Sounds like you may have an issue with the disc.

Do you have access to another Windows machine? If so install nLite and recreate the install disc. Any copy errors to/from the disc during this process will let you know it's a disc issue.

Alternatively you could install VirtualBox. It's free and lets you install Windows in a virtual machine on your Mac. Don't enter a serial number during the install (you get 28 to do this on Windows 7). Just see if the install runs through. If it does you can rule out the disc issue and it must be something else.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yeah, it's working well with VirtualBox. Would I just be better off using that?

But, now we know it's not the disc...

Reaction score
VBox works great. That should suit your needs unless you have an application that absolutely requires full native access to your graphics adapter (e.g., video processing, high-end games, etc.)

Cheers

OP
C
Reaction score
Darn, the reason I was doing it was to get some PC games off Steam. I'll try a game out and see. But any other suggestions to duel boot would be great!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any other ideas?

Reading through this thread it appears that the problem is related to the video graphics. Note that when Boot Camp first creates a partition it is not formatted - that comes later when you begin the Windows installation. Which it appears that you can not do.

Have you thought about using Windows XP instead? XP is much less resource intensive and actually easier to install. I've got Windows 7 running from a Boot Camp partition and XP from a VM with Fusion. Although the VM can't run games, I like XP better.

If you don't already own an eligible copy of XP it would mean having to buy one - and it isn't cheap. An OEM system builder's full install of XP SP3 is going to cost around $95 to $100 depending on where you buy it from.

Sorry I can't be more help with this.

OP
C
Reaction score
I'll try borrow a copy to see if it works before I commit to a purchase, but I'll also point out again that I have had Windows 7 running on this machine before, so I'm not sure why it wont work now...

Reaction score
Solution

Solution

I have a macmini bought in mid2011 with OS Lion on it. AS it doesnot come with an optical drive, I bought an LG DVD drive and used the windows 7 (64bit) installation DVD. It stopped at windows is loading files....

I tired couple of other options like using flash dirve but it dint work.

The I went to Apple's Genius Bar, and they put the installation dvd into their dvd drive (by Apple). Then the windows installed perfectly fine.

When asked they said it must be the problem of DVD and I found out that it actually is the cause. Apple products require dual layer optical drives but in general the optical drives we buy can only read single layer dvds. So I got to fix the problem by borrowing their dvd drive in genius bar and now i m good to go.....

Hope this helps

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.