eMac 1GHz no sound mac 10.4.11 but sound works ubuntu 10.10

Reaction score
I have an eMac that I bought from a public school auction nearly a years ago. I've installed and reinstalled os 10.4.11 from the grey eMac cd's that came with it many times as well as followed the troubleshooting found at apple for sound problems. The start up sound works, but there is no sound after that; no sound card is detected, no sound from the headphone jack, no sound from the spreakers, no sound period.

A few weeks ago, I installed Ubuntu 10.10 for PPC on it in a separate partiton on the hard drive and the sound works. I have no problem using Ubuntu, but still prefer the Mac os.

Any idea if the educational eMac 1 GHZ made in 2006 had different sound boards than a regular eMac? If so where could I get the right software to make the sound work in 10.4.11?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

You were lucky to get Tiger on the eMac as they are not the original system discs for that computer. Tiger was the original install disc for late model G4 eMacs only, 1.42GHz, PowerMac G5's, iMac G5's Macbooks and later. In fact the 1GHz eMac came with OS X.2 so someone has grabbed some 1.42 discs and that could well be your problem.

Try running Repair Permissions in Disk Utility a couple of times and see if there is any improvement.

OP
T
Reaction score
Re: eMac 1GHz

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've tried it before with no success. I also have tried installing 10.2 as well (from retail install discs), but this eMac will not boot from them. This is an educational model that was made when the retail model being sold at the same time was the 1.42 GHz model. It shares the 1.42s video, original hard drive size, etc. which is what makes me wonder about the sound electronics possibly being non-standard for a 1GHz.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That is something you will have to do a lot of work on.

Many eMacs sold to educational institutions had all sorts of non standard features to suit each institutions requirements.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.