iMac G5 with 3G USB dongle question.

Reaction score
I just got my iMac G5 back up and running (I had to replace the hard drive) and now have an extra iMac here at home. I was thinking of taking it to work so I can have a computer there, but came to the realization that I cannot use the only phone line there for an internet connection. What I have thought of doing is buying a 3G USB dongle and using that as my wireless internet connection. I realize that I would have to purchase a wireless plan, most likely through AT&T much like on the iPad. Is it possible to just hook up one of the USB dongles in one of the machine's USB ports and going from there? Or will I need to purchase a wireless router in which to plug the USB dongle and then connect the iMac to the router with an ethernet cable?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You won't need a wireless router by using a dongle. However, most of what I have read from others regarding using a USB wireless dongle on the Mac is that they are difficult to get working. Also keep in mind that wireless plans from AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc are not inexpensive.

Here's a LINK that you can go to and price out various USB wireless dongles that work on a Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.