Upgrade to Leopard from Tiger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac mid 2011, 2.5 Intel Core i5 duo, 12GB Memory graphics card 512mb
Looking around to see how much it would be to upgrade to 'leopard', I spotted some posts (not here) that said that the "Snow Leopard" upgrade for "Leopard" had upgraded this chaps "Tiger" to "Leopard" and others on the posts agreed and added, but with no detail, that you have to remove most applications and reload them. I have bought the "Snow Leopard 10.6" (not a pirate copy) My questions are:- Which applications do I have to remove and reload; How do I do that; Will my internet connections be affected. Can you please give me any advice. I cannot afford to do the 'proper' upgrade. My machine is an iMac 2.16 Ghz core 2 duo and memory uprated from 1 GB to 2 GB purchased new in May 2007 (using Tiger 10.4.11). Thank you very much :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
First and foremost backup your vital data.

You should be able to then use the Snow Leopard CD to upgrade your installation. Some application might not be compatible with SL and will complain, if an update is available install it and go from there..

Regards

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My questions are:- Which applications do I have to remove and reload; How do I do that; Will my internet connections be affected. Can you please give me any advice. I cannot afford to do the 'proper' upgrade. My machine is an iMac 2.16 Ghz core 2 duo and memory uprated from 1 GB to 2 GB purchased new in May 2007 (using Tiger 10.4.11). Thank you very much :)

Here's the deal. When you upgrade from OS 10.4 to 10.6...many programs/applications that were compatible with 10.4 won't be compatible with 10.6.

To solve this one of three solutions are possible:

- an free updater may be available to update a program/application and help it to run under OS 10.6
- make sure you install "Rosetta" when you install OS 10.6 to help with the compatibility of older applications (Rosetta is not a default install with OS 10.6, you have to select it to be installed)
- you will have to purchase a newer version of your 10.6 incompatible application/programs...which of course will be expensive.

You can check this list to see what programs/applications you may have (be careful to check the version numbers) to see if they are compatible with OS 10.6:

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard compatibility table - Snow Leopard Compatibility

HTH,

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks-more advice please

Thanks to Pigoo3 and Razoredge. The 'back up' is what I'm now not sure of. I have a 500 gb external hard drive; so if I start up the external drive an I con will appear on the screen and then when I click the icon a window opens to show me what it contains . . . . if I click on, say, the iPhotos icon and drag/drop it into the ext drive window, will that be the back up and if so, do I then reverse the procedure once Leopard is loaded into my iMac. Similarly, do I do that with Pages, Word Excel etc. Also, how about my password for Apple updates and what must I be sure to back up and how to do it ? Sorry to be dim on this but I gotta learn and I'm convinced that you guys know best from experience. I'm quite nervous about doing this so all help is really very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Brian:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks to Pigoo3 and Razoredge. The 'back up' is what I'm now not sure of. I have a 500 gb external hard drive; so if I start up the external drive an I con will appear on the screen and then when I click the icon a window opens to show me what it contains . . . . if I click on, say, the iPhotos icon and drag/drop it into the ext drive window, will that be the back up and if so, do I then reverse the procedure once Leopard is loaded into my iMac. Similarly, do I do that with Pages, Word Excel etc. Also, how about my password for Apple updates and what must I be sure to back up and how to do it ? Sorry to be dim on this but I gotta learn and I'm convinced that you guys know best from experience. I'm quite nervous about doing this so all help is really very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Brian:)

As far as the backup...you could give this program "SuperDuper" a try:

SuperDuper!

SuperDuper version 2.6.2 is compatible with Mac OS 10.4 and later...and since you're currently using 10.4 you should have no problem.

An alternative method for backing up is...just copy all of your important documents (spreadsheets, word processing, photos, music, video, etc.) to another hard drive. And if for some reason your applications have a problem after the OS upgrade (assuming the problem is not incompatibility with the new OS version 10.6)...then you can reinstall them from the applications original install disks.

Realize that backing information up is a safeguard against loss. Generally speaking...if you're upgrading the OS (10.4 to 10.6) in this case...all you do is boot from the OS install disk...and follow the onscreen instructions.

The install process will leave all of your files & applications untouched...and will only upgrade the OS. Of course you will still have to deal with any applications that may not be compatible with OS 10.6. Upgrading from OS 10.4 to 10.6 is a BIG step...and some or many applications you currently have on your hard drive may not be compatible with OS 10.6. To make those applications compatible...you will either need to update them (with an updater file)...or purchase newer versions of the applications.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:) Thanks everso much Nick. Just one more question - where can I get the updater file - I presume it is one for each lump of software that needs updating. Are they downloadable ? Thanks again young sir, I will have a go at doing this over the weekend - Oh ! Is there a way to get back to Tiger if it all goes wrong with Leopard as I dont have the Tiger disc as it came already loaded with Tiger.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:) Thanks everso much Nick. Just one more question - where can I get the updater file - I presume it is one for each lump of software that needs updating. Are they downloadable ?

It depends on what programs we're talking about. You have to find out what company developed the application...then go to their webpage & see if they have any updaters. Or there are various websites that list lots of updaters for lots of programs.

For example...if you have Microsoft Office...the you would go to the Microsoft website for updaters. If you have any Adobe programs...you would go to the Adobe website for updaters.

And as I mentioned. If there is no updater...then you have to purchase a newer version of an application so it's compatible with OS 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Oh ! Is there a way to get back to Tiger if it all goes wrong with Leopard as I dont have the Tiger disc as it came already loaded with Tiger.
Possibly if you did a complete backup of your hard drive. Otherwise...Nope! If you don't have OS 10.4 Tiger install disc(s)...no way of going back until you do.

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.