MBP Powers Down When Closed

Reaction score

My son's 13" MBP (fall 2009) powers off every time he closes the lid. He then, of course has to turn it back on & wait for bootup. This is NOT a simple "going to sleep" issue! The MBP actually turns off!! Neither my daughter nor myself have this issue with ours (13" & 15" fall 2009)

Can ANYONE help?!!!

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll pass that along to my son. Or get him to try next time he visits!! I really do appreciate the help.

Reaction score
It might somehow be an issue with the display cable. If it is pinched, it will turn off the computer.

I have a A1181 Macbook that I accidentally pinched the inverter cable during a repair and it will boot up for a second and then turn off. If I unplug the display, it will turn on fine but there won't be anything on the screen obviously.

I would take it back to apple, because there might be a short in the display cable that is happening every time he closes the display.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you! I have passed your answer on to my son! I appreciate all the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.