How to make your HD fresh again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hey guys,

Ok....so I've decided to something in order to try and fix a problem, but first need to know if it's possible, and how to actually do it :)

I'm on OSX and wanting to wipe my hard drive completely clean, and reinstall everything fresh again. The OS everything as if it was a new computer.

How do I go about doing this?

I know I will lose my files so I already have all backed up.

How do I reinstall or completely restart OSX? I still have the disk it came with when I bought my MBP.

My computer stats are: late 09 macbook pro 15 inch. 2.8ghz core 2, 4gb ram, 500 GB HD 7200rpm...pretty sure it's a seagate drive.

Thanks guys! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
-Boot from the install disc holding C while booting until you see the spinning gear.
-Select language and click continue.
-Select utilities>disk utility in the menu bar (this takes a few seconds to appear).
-Select the HD at the top of the list on the left.
-Click erase tab.
-Format Mac Os Extended (Journaled).
-Name Macintosh HD.
-Click erase.
-Quit disk utility menu, and continue with installation.

OP
TheGreatApple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
@6string!

Sorry for the late response, was away the whole day yesterday. THANK YOU for the help and the response, I have it in a notepad now :)

Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.