Re-assign F4 from dashboard to app windows

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have tried searching for this but cannot find the answer.

I have the new MacBook Air and want to switch my F4 key from dashboard to display the windows open in the current application.

Changing that in System>Expose & Spaces does nothing. I can change it in Keyboard>Keyboard Shortcuts (by activating "Use all F1...keys as standard function keys") but then I lose volume and screen brightness adjustment. I can't seem to program those options as keyboard options.

Any ideas what to do?

Will

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
There have been a few threads about this before, don't think anyone came up with an absolute answer in the end. To make some changes though go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts, you can make some changes in there. Hope this helps.

- Simon

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks, but as I indicated in my post, Keyboard>Keyboard shortcuts doesn't work as any settings there are overridden by the hardware controls.

In Keyboard>Keyboard shortcuts I have F4 set to all windows in app, but it's overridden by the hardware setting to have F4 be for the dashboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
If you go to System Preferences > Keyboard in the "Keyboard" tab there is the option to select "Use all F1, F2 etc keys as standard function keys", select this then you have to hold down the "Fn" key to use the F keys for the functions that are printed on the keyboard.

- Simon

OP
W
Reaction score
Yep I'd prefer not to have to get an extra key involved.

All I want to do is have F4 show all the application windows. I don't understand why Apple has to make this so difficult.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Is there any reason you don't want to use hot corners to do this?
One very simple, quick trackpad gesture to the corner.

or Fn + F10

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.