Macbook Pro 2.0 Gz Backlight Flickers & Dies

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro 2.0 GHz, 15 inch, OSX 10.5.8, laptop that I'm trying to troubleshoot.

The backlight flickers and ultimately dies under any conditions. When the machine has been turned off and allowed to cool down some the screen seems to last a little longer, but it always ends up failing at some point. This is the backlight only as you can still see the images on the primary screen. The secondary external screen works just fine so it does not appear to be a graphics card issue. I also have conducted a PRAM reset & reset the PMU. After a PMU restart it seems to decrees the rate at which the flickering happens but it does not prevent it.

I replaced the LCD screen thinking it was the backlight but that did not work.

Video here YouTube - Macbook Pro 2.0 GHz

I have heard that an OS upgrade has helped others and that the LCD inverter could be to blame. Last one I have heard is the logic board is fried and to buy another laptop.

Would love to hear from anyone being able to fix this issue?

Reaction score
Possible solution

Why don't you buy an inverter and replace that? Worst case scenario you would be out $12.95 or just return it to the seller.

Macbook PRO A1150 15" 1.83/2.0/2.16 Inverter 612-0021-A - eBay (item 280591153127 end time Dec-17-10 16:54:58 PST)

The backlight could be a number of things, including the i/o board, the logic board, the inverter, or the screen. Since you've replaced the screen, you need to move on to the next possibility.

The inverter is easy to replace (as you've already done the LCD). This may be the issue.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion and this would e my next step. Just trying to find someone who had seen and been ale to fix this type of issue.

OP
G
Reaction score
anyone else have some ideas on theis LCD backlight issue?

Stil hoping someone has seen this and fixed it in any size laptop?

Reaction score
I've just told you what you need to do.

The backlight can be the logic board, the i/o board, the inverter cable, the inverter, or the LCD.

If someone comes on here and says "Yes, I replaced the i/o board and it fixed my problem", and you replace your i/o board and it doesn't fix it, you will be ******.

No one will be able to tell you what is wrong with your computer. Start with the inexpensive parts first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.