what's best way to use/backup iphoto

Reaction score
i'm new to mac o/s and was drawn by the fact it is unix based, the included s/w and not have to be as paranoid about virus'. from a software perspective, was really interested in iphoto and time machine.

with windows, was always forgetting to kick off backups and had a concern abt what would happen if i had to rebuild and figure out the s/w for the backup, etc.

i had done some initial reading that time machine can be used to restore a workstation/laptop once it has been booted/rebuild from a cd. all sounds cool.

i can use my time for working on pics instead of doing SA work.

now that i have my macbook i just completed my first time machine backup with an external usb drive.

what i was confused about is that i could not use time machine to restore a single pic or handful of pics from a prior point in time. i only saw the icon of "iPhoto" which i haven't tried to do a restore on as i'm already actively using iPhoto/TM with about 2400 pics on the laptop.

now what i'm looking for some guidance on...

a) are there any links on how others handled this
b) are there any known scalability issues as more and more pics are loaded into iphoto? 5000? 15000? etc?
c) are there any known issues or best practice to ensure that the backups will have increased probability in restore as i increase the # of pics?
d) other than using command line/shell scripts traversing structures in the TM volume, can i use the TM user interface to do file by file restores to a prior point in time?

hoping someone can just send over some links to above inquiries that have gotten past this already...

thx for the help anyone...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.